Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salsa recipe?

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,776
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
steak030.jpg
<p />does any one have a good salsa or dip recipe. some of my peppers are ready for picking, hot cherry peppers, lots of japs, and these long portuguese peppers. havent ever tried a portuguese pepper and dont know the common name, but they look good
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    fishlessman,
    We like this one:[p]- One 2 lb can of good quality Italian Plum Tomatoes
    - 4 Jalapenos, halved with seeds and membrane removed (I leave seeds and membrane in if the peppers aren't hot enough)
    - 1/2 Large Onion
    - Cilantro to taste
    - Kosher salt[p]Put Jalapenos and onions in food processor with blade. Process until they are the texture you like in your salsa. Remove to a strainer and rinse under cold water for about 5 seconds. Set aside to drain.[p]Put tomatoes, cilantro, and kosher salt in processor with blade. Puree.[p]Pour tomatoes into bowl amd add chopped jalapenos and onions. Adjust salt.[p]I find this salsa tastes best if it stays in the fridge for a couple of hours for the flavors to develop.

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I made thie recipie at the TX Egg Fest this year and it came out great. I called it Smokin Joe's Fire Roasted Salsa.[p]3 lbs Plum/Roma Tomatoes (sliced in half and tossed in EVOO)
    Peppers - whatever you want - I used 4 Jalepenos & two Poblanos cut in half & tossed in EVOO)[p]I cooked them direct at 400 to 500 degrees in a grill wok with holes - until they were charred. Pull them off and place in a bowl to cool in the fridge. If the peppers aren't charred enough put them back on and char them good.[p]Pulse the cooled tomato/pepper mixture in a processor/blender[p]Chop the following fresh veggies
    1 small white onion & 1 small red onion
    cilantro to taste[p]add in the onions (this gives the salsa a nice texture)[p]chop & add in cilantro to taste [p]add a tablespoon of fajita seasoning and lime juice (one fresh squeezed lime)[p]put in a plastic container & refridgerate for at least 4 hours (longer is better - the flavors really mix nicely)[p]Good Luck with it! Joe

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Garlic.... about 4 nice cloves, chopped.
    1 yellow onion.....chopped.
    1 jalapeno and 1 Serrano... chopped. Remove seeds if heat is an issue.
    Fresh cilantro.......a nice handful, rinsed, chopped, stems and leaves.
    1 fresh lime ....juiced, or "forked." use 1/2-3/4, and then add more if needed.
    salt and pepper.... to taste.
    fresh tomatoes..... seeded and chopped.[p]And, the secret ingredient... add a little honey... like any tomato dish... the flavor will be greatly enhanced by adding just a little shot of honey. Takes away that acid bite, and allows the sweet tomato flavor to come through. Normally our tomatoes have the flavor of the cardboard box they were shipped in. Fresh, sweet tomatoes are a luxury in Minnesota.[p]In a bowl, combine the products listed in order, stir after each addition. Let it sit in refrigerator for an hour... if possible.[p]If it gets too hot, add finely chopped carrots to tame it down.
    If the onions make your eyes water, rinse them and pat dry. (the onions, not your eyes...LOL)[p]
    My theory on salsa, after many trips to Mexico, and countless attempts at perfecting it is.... keep it simple like they do in Mexico.[p]Mike in MN

• Coldeggnorth
    Options
    Man, those peppers look great! Up north here, my peppers are all still green… hoping for a last burst of heat to ripen them.

I can’t offer any salsa recipes I’ve tried yet but this site looks interesting. Just an FYI.

http://www.tasteoftx.com/recipes/salsa.html

Best of luck with whatever you try.

Coldeggnorth
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i gave these peppers no chance when i planted them. they are up in maine planted in a sandbar on the northwest river near sebago lake. watered them once and the location is partly shaded. but they seemed to do well anyways. thanks for the link
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it