Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with boring fish?

Options
Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife's picking up some plain white kind of fish tonight from a local restaurant that sells it fresh. Any recommendations? I have most of the Dizzy Pig rubs, so I thought about using one of those.[p]Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]I don't have experience with DP rubs, yet anyway. We like it with a roasted red pepper hazlenut sauce. I'll post recipe if you want.[p]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]Yes, please post the recipe! That sounds like a delicious topping for fish...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    dpnwsalmon.jpg
    <p />Eggtuary,
    I rather liked this one. The fish in the photo had a maple syrup/butter mixture drizzled over it with about 10 minutes to go.[p]TNW

[ul][li]Panko Encrusted Tilapia or Salmon[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    ive made this casserole many times with pollock which is a very bland tasting fish. its only good if its fresh and cooked within a few hours of catching them.

[ul][li]big bawbs casserole[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggtuary,
    We did Cod last night. Mixed up 2 TB of regular Mayo with
    about 2 tsp of rub and coated the rinsed and dried fish.
    The fish was then covered with raw, chopped Pistachio nuts
    and put in the fridge for about 1 to 1.5 hrs. I fired up
    the cooker to about 350 deg. F and tossed a piece of
    Pistachio wood on the fire for a little smoke. The fish was
    placed on a hot, oiled cast iron griddle, cooked till brown
    on both sides then allowed to rest for a few minutes. It
    turned out moist, flakey and very tasty. Good stuff.

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    QBabe,[p]OK, here you go. Enjoy. BTW, it's also good on burgers instead of mayo.[p]Roasted Red Pepper Hazelnut Sauce[p]
    Makes 1 1/2 cups[p]2 large red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, and seeded, or 1 1/2 cups drained bottled roasted red peppers
    1/4 cup hazelnuts, roasted and skinned
    2 cloves garlic, peeled
    2 tablespoons sherry vinegar (yes needs to be this)
    1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
    1-tablespoon fresh marjoram or Italian oregano leaves
    1-teaspoon sugar
    1-teaspoon salt
    Scant 1/8-teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2-cup extra-virgin olive oil[p]Process all the ingredients except the oil in a food processor or blender until the hazelnuts are finely ground.
    Stop the machine and scrape down the sides. With the machine running, pour in the olive oil in a steady stream.
    The sauce should have the consistency of thick salad dressing. Taste and add more salt or cayenne if desired.
    The sauce can be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Bring it to room temperature before serving or warm the sauce gently by stirring it in a stainless-steel bowl set over simmering water. Don't overheat the sauce or the oil will separate.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]Thanks![p]Tonia
    :~)

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    Go to Wally World and buy the fish a personality. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hehehehehehe

• IlliniEgger
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    Did some catfish this weekend with Dizzy Pig's "Tsunami Spin" and a little lime and it was great.[p]IlliniEgger

• ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]The wife an I like this one. I put it on a double
    layer of foil on the egg....[p]
    MaMa's Supper Club Tilapia Parmesan[p]2 pound tilapia fillets (orange roughy, cod or red snapper can be substituted)
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
    3 tablespoons mayonnaise
    3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
    1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    Black pepper to taste
    Dash of hot pepper sauce[p]Preheat oven to 350 degrees.[p]In buttered 13-by-9-inch baking dish or jellyroll pan, lay fillets in single layer. Do not stack fillets. Brush top with juice.[p]In bowl combine cheese, butter, mayonnaise, onions and seasonings. Mix well with fork.[p]Bake fish in preheated oven 10 to 20 minutes or until fish just starts to flake. Spread with cheese mixture and bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Baking time will depend on the thickness of the fish you use. Watch fish closely so that it does not overcook. Makes 4 servings.[p]The link to the recipe page is below.

[ul][li]http://www.jsonline.com/food/youaskedforit/mamas.asp[/ul]
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't go out and buy the fancy Panko bread crumbs, but I got a delicious meal using the normal Progresso ones I had in my pantry.[p]I'm going to have to go back and try some of the other recipes people suggested. Many of them look delicious![p]Thanks again, everyone!
    Mike

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]Teach it to play chess maybe?[p]mShark