Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Constant temp for 18 hours

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently purchased an egg and tried the pulled pork. I started the grill the night before and let it smoke for 18 hours. However, when I checked in the morning the coals had burned out. How do you keep the coals at a consistent temp of 200 - 250 for an extended period of time? I added more coals in the morning and it turned out great but I would like to know how you control the heat for such a long time. Is it starting with the right amount of coals or is it the control the vents?[p]Thanks

Comments

• guavawood
    guavawood Posts: 213
    Options
    PJG,[p]Did you use lump or briquettes?[p]Fresh bag or old bag?[p]How full did you fill it?[p]
    Good thing you saved the meal anyway![p]aloha![p]Greg[p]

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    PJG,
    It's a combination of both. Use natural lump charcoal and fill your firebox all the way up to the fire ring. Light one spot, right in the center, and adjust your bottom vent and daisy wheel to get 250 dome temperature. That's generally daisy wheel cracked about half open, and a slit that you can fit a house key in on the bottom vent. That should get you a 24 hour burn with minimal adjustment.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    PJG,
    You need to start with plenty of lump charcoal, get a stable fire established using the vents, and then let it go. Here's my web page on temperature control:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Temperature Control Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    PJG,
    Cooked a shoulder last week for a total of 22 hours since then I have done 4 dinner cooks with chicken and steaks on the remaining lump. When I looked this morning I think I can get at least two more dinners without adding any extra lump. When I start a long cook I always load to the fire ring +. Like the post below says light in the middle and ease into your 250º target temp. Good luck.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    PJG,
    I agree that it takes a combination of both for a long successful cook. The one piece of advice that I would give you is to review the Whiz's page, and particularly the one on his first or one of his first lo and slo of cooking a butt.
    I us a combination of his and Elder's, but I keep coming back to his(Whiz's) write up; but I don't tell him that; he won't even answer my E-mail any more.
    Hammer