Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt bust

Options
RiverRat
RiverRat Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friday night was the night for my first overnight, a 6lb butt.
Cleaned the BGE real good, sorted and loaded the Wicked up to the fire ring. Lit in 2 places and after an hour got it stabilized at 250. Put the butt on at 7pm and checked it every 30 mins or so after.

Temp held steady at 250, internal was rising to 128 around 10. Followed the advice not to open and look. Bottom vent open about 3 credit cards worth and the dial on the daisy top had about 1/3 "moon" opened. A little after 10 the temp dropped to 235-240, so I opened the dial to 1/2 "moon". Then, apprently, I made a mistake. I went to bed. I got up at 5am to check and the dome was 110 and the internal was 113. The fire went out sometime in the night and I lost the butt. No telling how long the internal had been below "safe" , so I threw her away :(

Without a guru, how often should you check in on an overnight?
Suggestions about what went wrong.