Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sweet Corn

Options
kilo
kilo Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have not done sweet corn (corn on the cobb) on the grill before. Could anyone give me instructions from their experiences?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Dr_Redwine
    Dr_Redwine Posts: 189
    Options
    kilo,
    Throw it on there direct shucks and all at I'd say 400 or so. Turn it every so often so that it doesn't char too bad, say every 5 minutes or so until its been there for 20-25 minutes. Another way is to soak it in water prior to this but I usually don't have time to. When it comes off, shuck it (there usually aren't many silks left) and add a little butter and salt, if desired. Many folks just eat it plain.
    HTH.
    DrR

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    kilo,
    I'm in the minority but I like to shuck first and then "toast" over low, indirect heat. Really brings out the sweetness.

• tn slagamater
    Options
    kilo, there are many ways to do this, all are great on Humpty Green Dumpty. Try pulling back the shuck, remove silks. Soak it 30 mins in some sugar water with a pinch of salt added.Now add some oil or butter, good rub, pepper, etc and pull the shuck back up and roast direct. Turn once or twice. Good stuff !

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Dr_Redwine,
    i do it this way also,lot less work and by not pulling the husks back it keeps the moisture in. when you can really smell the corn its done

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    kilo,
    I pull the leaves back, remove the silk, apply a paste made from a rub plus a little honey and water, fold the leaves back up, tie a string around the top and cook direct at about 350 for 25 minutes. Turn a couple of times to get an even brown (or black). Did this just last night! Fantastic![p]Paul

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    kilo,[p]I prefer to soak them in water and then place them on the BGE at 350-400 and then shuck them (using my orka gloves) after they have steamed for 30 minutes or so. It is so much easier to shuck them when they have been on the grill for a bit. I usualy just use a knife to cut off the very end and the rest of the husk and silk just fall off. I then place them on the grill to char them up a little bit (10 minutes).[p]Cheers![p]B o B
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    kilo,[p]I too vote for cooking in the husk, but I soak in water for some extra moisture. [p]As a follow through, here is a neat way to add butter and seasoning: Get a wide-mouth jar tall enough to submerge a single ear of corn. Fill the jar 3/4 full of hot water, and pour melted butter on top of the water. The butter will rise to the top of the water. Pull back the husk and use it for a handle. Just before dunking into the jar, sprinkle a little rub or other seasoning onto the film of butter and then dunk the ear.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Dr_Redwine
    Dr_Redwine Posts: 189
    Options
    fishlessman,
    You got it. I just pulled all my corn Saturday after good ol' Dennis flattened it to the ground. It was almost ready when the hurricane hit us, so the stalks were very top-heavy. Funny site to pull corn off of shoe-top level.[p]DrR