Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I maintain 250 without fire going out?

Options
Guest Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to know how to maintain a tempature of 250 degrees without the fire going out. I have a large egg.[p]Thanks

Comments

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Guest,
    Check out the below web site for all your low ans slow cooks. It is worth it.

[ul][li]The BBQ Guru[/ul]
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Guest,
    First stir up the old lump and clean out the ash from the bottom, make sure you reach around the inside and get any thats piled up on the sides and back of the firebox. Fill with clean lump halfway up into the firering, next you light it and let a small fire get established. After about 10 minutes, close down the daisy wheel and the draft door to minimal settings that will hold 250 in your Egg. Now this is where it gets tricky: wait about 22 to 24 hours and add more lump.
    Yeah, it really is that easy. Don't be afraid to close that daisy wheel down, it leaks and so does the draft door, so there will always be a draft to keep embers burning til you put on the rain cap and snuff it out. I hold 175 for 6 hours or longer when I smoke bluefish.
    Well, under usual circumstances anyway, sometimes atmospheric conditions can get in the way and cause the fire to snuff out prematurely at very low settings, especially just before sunrise, but minor adjustments are all it takes to counteract.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Guest,My 'free' way to holding 250 Is too keep the bottom draft open about 1/32" and the top wheel open about the same, give it an hour to make sure it stable. I have done this for 18 hours and never saw it flutter.

• Unknown
    Options
    Howdy Guest,
    I'll second Tach18k's comments.[p]Nothing against the Guru, but I really haven't seen much of a need for me to get one. I have all the goop set up to make a homemade device that is similar (mine includes a wifi network, web server, and cell phone alert capabilities!) but I just don't have a true *need* for it.[p]I'll do it for the geeky fun factor, oh yes, to be sure! But the truth is, I've had exactly one fire go out prematurely in the last 6+ years. With the frequency at which I egg, those are really good odds.[p]I'd think with a clean fire grate, not too much ash underneath, and enough good dry lump, every large egg should perform this way.[p]Now watch, my next pork butt overnight cook has just been jinxed! :)[p]bc[p]

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    250 is easy, below that gets tricky sometimes. the guru is the tech to do it, manually is a clean firebox lit in several spots. full load of good lump.
    try to sneak up on the temp slowly, use small adjustments and have a beer. when the beer is mt check again.repeat adjustments and beer.