Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Wood fired sirloin tip well underway

Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks JJ for the idea. I haven't been this excited in a while.
Got me a real nice fire goin with some hickory, maple and oak branches from the woods. Added some big pieces of taste o texas mesquite chunks (8 inches x 4inches x 1 inch.) Man that stuff burtns hot!! Seared the 4 pound tip on 2 sides (seared very quickly!). [p]Removed the meat to a plate, added some more wood and let that get going good and to get a nice coal base. Set up a drip pan with water (they had water in caveman days), and added the extended grate, sirloin tip on top, and closed the bottom vent to 1/2 inch. Immediately got a good dose of smoke when I slowed the airflow down. Cruising along steadily now, smoke even whisping out of the hole where the BGE thermometer used to proudly sit.[p]If I had to guess, I'd say dome temp is up there pretty good right now, but will slowly drop until next time I have to add wood. My clothes smell like I am camping. This is GREAT!!!![p]A hardy caveman "uuuuugh" to all.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings

Comments