Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coffee Bourbon Barbeque Sauce

Options
JM3
JM3 Posts: 272
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking 36 pounds of boston butt for Saturday. To go with it I have my raspberry chipolte sauce but I wanted to give everyone a choice on the sauce so I pulled out this recipe from Emeril. It is getting rave reviews from my taste testers. I used Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin instead of Emeril's Essence. To kick up the heat I might use my Jamaican Firewalk next time.[p]1 cup Bourbon whiskey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 jalapeno, seeds and stem removed, and minced
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup ketchup
3/4 cup brewed strong black coffee
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cane syrup or dark molasses
1 tablespoon hot red pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper [p]
Place the bourbon in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer until reduced to 1/3 cup. Remove from the heat and let cool.
In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, Essence, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, pepper, and lemon and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Add the ketchup, coffee, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire, cane syrup, and hot sauce, and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the bourbon and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. [p]Remove from the heat. With a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor, puree on high speed until smooth. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. [p]

Comments