Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Security System

Options
g8golfer
g8golfer Posts: 1,025
Looking to get a security system for my home. Don’t have anything installed now. Checking to see if anyone has one they might recommend or stay away from? Like to have one that has cameras and a monitoring service. Thanks in advance for the input. 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They have ones with 4 legs and teeth that work pretty well....  =)
    Options
    We have a golden doodle and he’s afraid of his shadow 
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    Simple Safe, we have had it for 5 years love it. DIY and pretty cost effective. 
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • g8golfer
    Options
    Simple Safe, we have had it for 5 years love it. DIY and pretty cost effective. 
    My brother n law has had simply safe for 3 months and he loves it so far. He likes the fact that it’s wireless. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Does simply safe have some type of power backup? 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Tell us more what the threats are and how much you need. On a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the worst, what level of protection do you feel you need?
    Jacksonville FL
  • g8golfer
    Options
    Well I live in a low crime area. Just trying to get something to make my wife feel a little more safe while I travel for work. I’m going to install cameras on the outside myself but I’m looking for something to put on the doors and a couple windows and a monthly monitoring service. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Following this thread. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Look at Ring.
    Mountain View, CA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Base station has battery backup. Not sure how long it lasts on the battery though. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    When you mount your cameras, try to always have the light source behind them when possible. As for the distance of the night vision, whatever they say the actual figure will be about 1/3 of that. SimpliSafe is pretty good. Why are you only looking to do a couple of windows?
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I like our Simplysafe system. Easy to install.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    If you have neighbors in close proximity all you really need is the professional system sign to work as diversion.  Of course, you need to convince at least one of them that they don't need any system or sign.  
    Joking aside, I will be seeing where the collective wisdom lands.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • g8golfer
    Options
    When you mount your cameras, try to always have the light source behind them when possible. As for the distance of the night vision, whatever they say the actual figure will be about 1/3 of that. SimpliSafe is pretty good. Why are you only looking to do a couple of windows?
    All the windows in my house are about 10 feet off the ground or higher. You would need a ladder to even get up to them. My bay window in the front of my house is the only one that is eye level and that’s the one I was going to monitor. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Sounds pretty basic, get a system with the windows that are easily accessible covered with contacts, all the doors with contacts and a motion detector in the main space. The camera system needs to cover all sides of the house with access points externally with one inside in a central location in the house. This will record to a DVR and have web access via an app so you can see live feed via your cell phone. Hard wired camera preferred. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • g8golfer
    Options
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I’ve been looking at the Ring. I like the solar panel powered camera. I want to put one at the end of the driveway so I can get a pic of the license plate when someone pulls in the driveway. 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    @DoubleEgger I have three rings, two spot light cams and one doorbell, as well as an Axis camera. The rings are all wide angle, so not great for details like plates. The Axis I have can read license plates no problem. They have a huge lineup, but they are higher quality cameras and therefore more expensive.
    Mountain View, CA
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have blink cameras in two homes. They work great for me. I believe self monitoring ( cell phone alerts) is the way to go. Monitoring companies take time to check and sometimes dispatch to false alarms.  I also agree that sign out front is a great deterrent 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    When I bought my home , the previous owners had a vivant system installed, they would not give us the code to disable the system since we were not on the contract, even after we proved to the vivant company we owned the house.
    After the cops and fire dept showed up , three times, they stayed on site while we disabled the system, so the tamper alarm wouldn’t send more police out.
    Then, 2 months later, a door to door salesman for vivant came buy to sell us a new system, when I asked him to just remove the old panel he said he would only remove that panel if we purchased a new one. Needless to say, I still have the panel on the wall, even though it is now disabled.
    But, I have 4 feet and fur to protect my home while I am out.
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    Absolutely, all the sensors run off batteries and the "home base" transmitter has battery back up. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited February 2018
    Options
    A sign outside and the loudest siren you can get are the best deterrents. Thieves don't like loud sirens going off.
    I used these guys for monitoring and they were by far the best and extremely fast and efficient when my alarms were tripped.

http://www.watchlight.com/
  • g8golfer
    Options
    I think I’m going to go with Simply Safe. I can piece together my system the way I want it and it’s just $15 a month with no contracts for monitoring. It’s wireless also. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    I think I’m going to go with Simply Safe. I can piece together my system the way I want it and it’s just $15 a month with no contracts for monitoring. It’s wireless also. 
    If you send me your email, I can send you a link, and if you buy, you'll get a free month of monitoring and I do too.  If you don't, no biggie either.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • g8golfer
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    If you send me your email, I can send you a link, and if you buy, you'll get a free month of monitoring and I do too.  If you don't, no biggie either.  
    Justed PM you 
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    Smart Man, again, 5 years and still would do it over again. Received a water alarm this morning, sent a friend to check and everything was ok. Were on vacation in sunny Florida BTW..  I promise you wont regret. Now, if you want to discuss CCTV monitoring I highly recommend Qsee, not as easy as a DIY project but 9 cameras with WiFi monitoring at any location for $600 is hard to beat...  I have two small kids that are worried... Funny thing is, we probably live in one of the safest towns in IL... Ahh.. the things you do for your kids :)