Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wrapping some gifts with some cold smoking

Options
Woodchunk
Woodchunk Posts: 911
edited December 2017 in Off Topic
today and tomorrow. Cheese, cheez-its, Chex mix, mixed nuts, and first time try deviled eggs. Mixed pellets of hardwood and apple in the Amazen pellet tray

Comments

• NC_Egghead
    Options
    Looks like a winner! Let us know how it all turns out.
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    I did the cheese-it's in 2 batches, 1 for 2 1/2 hrs and the other for 1 1/2 hrs and the latter has a much better flavor. In the past it was near 3 hrs. 
    We tried 2 of the cheeses. The mozzarella and the Cabot alpine cheddar. It smoked for 3 hours. I will say that the Cabot is some of the best I have tasted off the smoker.
    doing the eggs and nuts now.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Go halvsies on those eggs and just smoke the whites.  Slice and pull the yolks so you can devil 'em while the whites are a'smokin' - and don't be shy - get creative on that mix and you'll be surprised at the reactions you'll get!  

I cooked a small chorizo and added cotija cheese to mine, along with a ton of Tex-Mex spices, then topped with a thin slice of jalapeno and more cumbled cotija... yeah, I got asked to do those again this year!

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I do the whole egg cut in half until the whites get some color then pull the yolk and mix up with the mayo etc.  These are unreal good. Especially the next day
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    Go halvsies on those eggs and just smoke the whites.  Slice and pull the yolks so you can devil 'em while the whites are a'smokin' - and don't be shy - get creative on that mix and you'll be surprised at the reactions you'll get!  

I cooked a small chorizo and added cotija cheese to mine, along with a ton of Tex-Mex spices, then topped with a thin slice of jalapeno and more cumbled cotija... yeah, I got asked to do those again this year!

Nice, thanks for the tips, Tex-mex and jalapeño is right up the wife's alley
  • Woodchunk
    Options

poster said:
    I do the whole egg cut in half until the whites get some color then pull the yolk and mix up with the mayo etc.  These are unreal good. Especially the next day
    Another great idea, thanks. 
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Did some Chex and nuts last night for 1 1/2hrs, ok but not much smoke flavor. Fired up the pellet tray again this am for the rest of the Chex and nuts. Left on for 2 1/2hrs. Much better smoke flavor this time

score card
    cheese-3hrs
    deviled eggs- 1hr (or until the whites start to turn)
    cheez-it's- 1 1/2hr is best for us
    nuts- 2 1/2
    chex mix- 2 1/2

goldfish are also good

I used an old small, steel  wood burner this time and it's not nearly as tight as the egg. I have not used it since I bought the egg a year ago so I Decided to make this my cold smoker. Very happy with the results.