Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Am I on the right track for timing my T-Day feast (first time smoking)

Options
So I have a 23# turkey, in a Brine (John Ash) for about 48hrs (I know I could have used another day) by the time I take it out (Thanks to @RRP ).  I have an XL BGE, Adjustable rig.  Planning on using some Pecan and Peach chunks. and putting the turkey on a V-rack (no spatchocking).  Plan on rubbing it down with a buttery mix prior to putting on, then basting w/ melted butter every 45mins or so.  I didn't plan on stuffing the bird with anything.

Based on reading posts here (non-stuffed, whole bird), to get a crisper skin the temp I'm shooting for is 350* and estimating it will take about 5hrs 45min to finish.  (15min per pound).  So to be ready by 4pm, planning on putting it on around 10am ish.. 

Any advice is appreciated! Can't wait!
Northern Jersey
XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    My guess is 2.5 hrs but in any event go by temp not time breast meat is done at 165
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Let it rest at least half an hour after taking out of the egg 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • nutshellml
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    My guess is 2.5 hrs but in any event go by temp not time breast meat is done at 165
    Really only 2.5hrs?  I will definitely go by temp, but need to be close.  I may be way off if it's 2.5hrs...
    Northern Jersey
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    If it's done early that's no problem.  Turkey doesn't need to be really hot when served, especially if you have gravy.  I like mine to rest for a couple hours after the egg. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Sherryjames
    Options
    Ya my timing may be way off too. Mine is 18.5 lbs. 325 dome, was figuring 5 hours. 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Eggdicted_Dawgfan Posts: 1,896
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Of course you should cook to temp as stated above 160° breast but I will guess 5 hours for the cook. Either way, better to finish an hour early than an hour late.
    Snellville, GA

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited November 2017
    Options

2.5 hours seems off.  Butterball's website is projecting 4.5- 5 hours @ 325F.  Subtract a little time for the temp bump to 350F and a little more for the convection properties of the egg. 

I think 4-ish hrs unstuffed is a more accurate projection.   That being said, I'd allow some wiggle room in the schedule.  You can always throw the turkey in a cooler to keep it warm.  But, you don't want to be late for show time.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Ya my timing may be way off too. Mine is 18.5 lbs. 325 dome, was figuring 5 hours. 
    Likely not more than an hour off either way. In my experience, 325-350 typically 12-15 mins per lb. 
    Snellville, GA

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I can't offer any solid advice other than every unstuffed bird I've cooked in an Egg has been done faster than an oven, where 15 min/lb is standard. Had a 12 pound goose done in 90 minutes once.

My inclination would be to start a little later, and then bump up the temp if it looks like its going too slow.

Alternatively, if its getting done too fast, consider pour some broth/stock into the cavity when basting. Also, when the desired internal temp is near, shut the Egg down. It will slowly cool over about a 2 hour period, and the bird can be taken just before the Egg temp drops to 140.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I'm with the around 12mins/lb (cavity not stuffed but with aromatics) running around 325-350*F on the dome.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nutshellml
    Options
    Thanks folks! good advice.  Happy & Safe Holiday...
    Northern Jersey