Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Habanero Death Dust Review

Options
@Ozzie_Isaac recently gave this rub such an outstanding review in another thread I had to give it a try. I've been trying to weed out a handful of "generic" rubs that rarely get used and get back to the basics but this one peaked my interest.

The outer wings are rubbed in my homemade rub. Inner circle is the Habanero Death Dust. 

Chris and I tossed on some gloves just in case (new baby at home and all). 

Review: Initial opening of the bag didn't give an overwhelming "spice" smell. Wings uncovered in fridge 48 hours. Rubbed liberally. Cooked to 180-190s. Raised direct @ 375. 

By my second wing my reaction was "this is my new personal favorite chicken wing rub". I love spicy food but not to at the expense of flavor.  This had a nice sweet spice to it but also an earthy smokey flavor that tasted like a blend of Mexican chilies. 

It was (to me) that perfect combo of spice to want another bite. (A unique medium) I did one with dry rub after and it was noticeably hotter. Like a little watery eyes and need a new beer. Also I noticed the spice didn't seem to coat as evenly and "pulled" when cooked. I'm gonna do another run to see if the temp of the chicken when rubbed, the shaker, or the courseness or hydration of the rub is the factor. No complaints on the tastebuds though. 

(Note: No affiliation with Oakridge BBQ. Totally sold on the name branding and reviews in another thread. Also I had seen previous reviews when doing a search but last week was the first time I had seen it on the forum as an active member for 2 years.  Thought I'd pass it along)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice review ice review brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Good deal! Glad you liked the rub.  I have noticed cooking heat mellows the "kick".  If you want exta kick do just like you did and sprinkle some additional rub on after cooking.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Solid review right there.  Thanks for that.
    I use it in various situations when looking to add some heat well outside a straight-up rub application.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jdkeithbge
    Options
    May I ask what's that Fall Lager you drinkin' there?
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Thanks for sharing brother...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    May I ask what's that Fall Lager you drinkin' there?
    @jdkeithbge it's Yazoo Brewery in Nashville. http://yazoobrew.com/fall-lager/

My buddy and I have been stock piling it since it's about to be pulled for their winter lager. 

It's a great "drinkable" seasonal beer. I hate beers that are good but you can't drink a second one. It's just as good near a fire or on an 85* November day in the South. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Hey Adam, nice review!!!  You might try doing a slurry with Death Dust and paint it on your wings a minute or two before you pull and then another painting after!!! (Where's my evil grin emoji?)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• jdkeithbge
    Options
    Thanks @Killit_and_Grillit, I don't know if we can get that in TX but I'll look for it.  I agree 100% on drinkable seasonal beers.  We had a 93* November day here yesterday... 
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX