Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Austin City Limits supper, featuring the Zac Brown Band

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum
Wanted the 3 boys to watch this show last night, and had a little two egg fun.  Started things off with a Sugar Shack onion apple marmalade.

Gettin' there

The band travels with XL eggs and a mobile kitchen "Cookie", hosting Eat and Greets before most shows.  At one of them several years ago, I picked up their cookbook Southern Ground Vol 1, one of the coolest concert souvenirs from an epic show.  The WI creamed corn and coleslaw, were from that book.  Corn was 350 indirect for 30 minutes.

Smoked the chops indirect with apple, 220.

Some good grub.  One nephew's favorite was the creamed corn, the other coleslaw.  

As per usual, an amazing show.
Shocked it took this long for ACL to host them.  The Whipping Post Greg Allman tribute at the end was perfect.  pbs.org has the full episode, I highly recommend it.
http://www.pbs.org/video/zac-brown-band-zlauq8/

Thanks for lookin'.
Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Dang that looks great!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Great post Brandon! I can imane the pairing of the apples and onion with those beautiful Iowa chops! Mmmm
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    What a combo! Wow does that look good
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Dang that looks great!
    Thank you.  We had a great night, finishing up with root beer floats before the show.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Great post Brandon! I can imane the pairing of the apples and onion with those beautiful Iowa chops! Mmmm
    Thanks bud.  There are times, where I'd take a proper chop over any steak.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    What a combo! Wow does that look good
    Thanks V, the boys destroyed it.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    Food looks great an I can confirm that Staghorn is legit, top 5 brews!  
  • Focker
    edited October 2017
    Options
    yumdinger said:
    Food looks great an I can confirm that Staghorn is legit, top 5 brews!  
    Thank you.
    Staghorn is my favorite Octoberfest, and top tier.
    So hard to pick one from their lineup.  Raspberry Tart, Moon Man, Serendipity, are up there too. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    That looks truly outstanding. Love the apple/onion topping for the chops. Very creative. Fresh apples are coming in here right now and I had some honey crisps last night. Just sliced them and dipped in peanut butter. One of my favorite snacks.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    What a great dinner, Brandon! Nice cook all around. Thanks for sharing the story and recipes. Fresh nutmeg on the corn is genious!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Focker
    edited October 2017
    Options
    That looks truly outstanding. Love the apple/onion topping for the chops. Very creative. Fresh apples are coming in here right now and I had some honey crisps last night. Just sliced them and dipped in peanut butter. One of my favorite snacks.
    Thanks much, it was really nice with the pork. 

I'm a huge honeycrisp fan too, not too sweet, and they hold up well for the longer cooks.  The apple cider used was 100% honeycrisp, no concentrated crap.  

Apples and PB is an awesome snack.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited October 2017
    Options
    What a great dinner, Brandon! Nice cook all around. Thanks for sharing the story and recipes. Fresh nutmeg on the corn is genious!
    Thank you Faith.
    When I saw the nutmeg on the 3x5, the bechamel light bulb came on.  It is, a brilliant compliment to the creamed corn.  I love grated nutmeg.  We're getting close to Evan Williams egg nog season.  Always top them off with a little microplaned nutmeg.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Nephew said after watching/hearing "My Old Man", that it made him think of his dad.....fuse was lit.  Love showing the boys good stuff.  He asked about them tonight.  :)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Inspired me to make apple/onion/bacon/bourbon jam this morning.  Used it to finish up some pizzas.  Need to do this more, hard to screw it up and so good.
  • Focker
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Legume said:
    Inspired me to make apple/onion/bacon/bourbon jam this morning.  Used it to finish up some pizzas.  Need to do this more, hard to screw it up and so good.
    Would be nice on a pizza with some ham or bacon.
    A great Fall apple use, and Scentsy aroma for a day.

I'm with ya, it is easy, a nice slow simmer until the color and consistency is right. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    @Focker - I haven't used ground nutmeg since I discovered how much better fresh nutmeg is. Eggnog season is just around the corner... Yay! I love it, too.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Piddled around and didn’t look at this for a while. My mistake. Dang that looks good. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Focker
    Options
    @Focker - I haven't used ground nutmeg since I discovered how much better fresh nutmeg is. Eggnog season is just around the corner... Yay! I love it, too.
    Same here.  :)
    They keep well in the freezer too.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Piddled around and didn’t look at this for a while. My mistake. Dang that looks good. 
    Thanks my friend, was a special meal at the family table.  :)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Thanks buddy, we put a hurtin' on those chops.
    That gif is like my boy, he inhales food. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities