Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carolina Style BBQ Sauce......with Grape jelly?

Options
johnnyp
johnnyp Posts: 3,932
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum

Alright fellas,

Last weekend I was in Washington, NC helping my step-dad, Mike at a pig cooking competition. Some guy Mike knows provided a Carolina style sauce for the judges.  It was hands down, the best Carolina sauce I've ever had.  Mind-blowingly good.   Obviously vinegar based, but the secret ingredient.....Grape Jelly. 

Apparently, people have been trying to get this sauce recipe out of William for years.  No one has been successful.  So, how about y'all?  Do any of you have a slam-dunk, grape-jelly-utilizing, Carolina sauce recipe?

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Carolina sauce to me is mustard based. One of my favorites (can't buy commercially) has Bread and butter pickel juice in it. Over the top good....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Carolina sauce to me is mustard based. One of my favorites (can't buy commercially) has Bread and butter pickel juice in it. Over the top good....

Not what I'm looking for, but by all means, share the goods brother
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    In the 1970's, My grandmother used to make a BBQ sauce out of equal parts Heinz Ketchup and Welch's Grape Jelly. It was awesome. My wife's family did the same thing.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited October 2017
    Options
    John, I don't know of a sauce that has grape jelly, however, my Mom would made meatballs all the time with grape jelly, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili sauce, and some other ingredients.  Was the chronic.  

Also, let's get this straight, usually "Carolina sauce" doesn't include the southern redhead step sister state (South Carolina).  :wink:

My wheels are turning now though.  I think it would be great to take my base dip and add grape jelly to it, instead of other sugar..... 

Edit: 

I don't remember the chilli sauce though, she must have used ketchup.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    sweet and sour keilbasa slow cooked in grape jelly and mustard is the closest i can think of. should post that in the fall thread =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    edited October 2017
    Options
    John, I don't know of a sauce that has grape jelly, however, my Mom would made meatballs all the time with grape jelly, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili sauce, and some other ingredients.  Was the chronic.  

Also, let's get this straight, usually "Carolina sauce" doesn't include the southern redhead step sister state (South Carolina).  :wink:

My wheels are turning now though.  I think it would be great to take my base dip and add grape jelly to it, instead of other sugar..... 

Edit: 

Well if he wants substandard sauce.....he should follow the pied piper of Vinegar Matt to the promise land. Some folks just don't no any better. ;)

• tarheelmatt
    Options

Edit: 

Well if he wants substandard sauce.....he should follow the pied piper of Vinegar Matt to the promise land. Some folks just don't no any better. ;)
    There's only one sauce sir, Lexington style! 

Not really.. Just teasing.  I like them all.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • vcool
    vcool Posts: 26
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Reminds me of the classic meatball sauce my friends parents always make.  They'd dump a box of frozen meatballs in to the slow cooker with a jar of grape jelly and an equal amount of Tabasco ketchup.
    Ottawa Canada, Cigars, Hunting, Fishing and Egging
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Some ideas:
    Sauce, BBQ, Ketchup, Montgomery Inn copycat

Here's a recipe from one of those "recipe copycat" web sites. never tried it; can't vouch for it. however, i think i would use some molasses or brown sugar in place of some of the white sugar. i would also back off on the recommended amt of chili powder--i don't discern a strong chili taste in the Montgomery Inn sauce, nor it is at all hot.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 24 Ozs. Bottle Ketchup
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup tarragon vinegar
    2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbs grape jelly
    2 Tbs chili powder
    1/4 cup bourbon
    1 Medium nion, grated to mush

Procedure:

1. Put onion into blender and grate to mush. Add all ingredients to blender and blend. Pour into medium saucepan, bring to boil, reduce heat. Simmer covered for 30 minutes.

2. Can be used on chicken or ribs.

Yield: 1 quart

Recipe Type: Sauce

Source
    Author: ken baker
    Source: BGE Forum, Ken Baker,2006/ 07/06

Author Notes
    Posted by Darlene at recipegoldmine.com 3/25/2002 9:54 am

Sauce, BBQ, Ketchup

First, I've had many GREAT sauces, sauces that stand on their own, sauces that trulymake cardboard taste great. To me, this sauce doesn't compliment BBQ but masks it.Below is our sauce recipe that compliments the meats and our rubs. It is thin enoughthat if used in small amounts compliments the smokey meat flavors. And with that,IMHO, sauce should never have smoke flavor; that's what the meat is for, right?

INGREDIENTS:
    55 Ozs Contadina Tomato Sauce
    1 28 Ozs Can Steens Pure Cane Syrup
    1 18 Ozs Jar Bama Grape Jelly
    1 6 Ozs Lee & Perins Worchestershire Sauce
    1/2 Tbs Cayenne pepper
    1 Tbs black pepper
    1 Tbs paprika
    1 Tbs chili powder
    Mix all of the above and warm.
    We use this (above) on chicken.
    For pork and beef:
    1 Part Blues Hog Original
    1 Part Blues Hog Tennessee Red
    3 Parts our sauce (above)
    For ribs we'll mix:
    2 Parts Blues Hog Original
    1 Part Blues Hog Tennessee Red
    2 Parts our sauce

Recipe Type: BBQ Sauce/Sauce

Source
    Source: BBQ-Brethren, Lake Dogs Cooking Team, 2011/04/06

Sauce, BBQ, Red, Vinegar, Pork, Starburst Rib, Nick

INGREDIENTS:
    ***PART I***
    2 cups canned diced tomatoes, (16 oz)
    28 oz Heinz Ketchup
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 zest of one lemon - fresh. dice fine
    add this lemon quartered,, rind and all
    1 orange, meat only, remove seeds
    3 Tbs grape jelly
    1 Tbs yellow mustard, French's type
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp white pepper
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    2 tsp Mexican oregano**
    1/2 tsp sage
    1/2 tsp ginger
    1/2 tsp red pepper
    1/4 tsp turmeric
    1/4 tsp sweet paprika
    1/2 tsp marjoram
    ***PART II***
    1 1/4 cups white vinegar
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 cup dark brown sugar
    1 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup margarine
    1 Tbs Louisiana hot sauce

Procedure:

Part I

1. * Add the Worcestershire sauce to clean out the bottle. ** The flavor of Mexican is much different than Mediterranean oregano.

KEY:

1. Combine Part I ingredients and reduce to about one half original volume -thick and gooey. This may take about 5 hours. Cover the pan with a splatter screen or you'll be sorry. Just before proceeding with Part II, remove the bulk ingredients (lemon, orange and larger pieces of diced tomato) by straining through a French fry basket. Add Part II ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Continue cooking to reduce the sauce to desired consistency. This is actually a dipping sauce and should be thinner than regular BBQ sauce. Serve very ";HOT" on the side for dipping, or pour generously over ribs, butterfly pork loins or chicken.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type: BBQ Sauce, Sauce

Source
    Source: BBQ List, Nick

Sauce, BBQ, Ketchup, Rib Clone V, Nick

INGREDIENTS:
    *Part 1*
    1 28 oz bottle Heinz Ketchup
    1 cup Coke or Ginger Ale
    1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbs common yellow mustard
    1 Tbs lemon juice
    2 tsp Mexican oregano
    1 cup white sugar
    2 Tbs grape jelly
    2 four slices of lemon - including rind.
    *Part 2*
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 Tbs Hungarian sweet paprika
    1 tsp ginger powder
    1 tsp Accent
    1 tsp sage
    1 tsp marjoram
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp coarse black pepper
    1 1/2 tsp Durkee lemon-pepper
    1 tsp mace
    1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp grapefruit, lemon or orange zest, grind
    *Part 3*
    3/4 cup white vinegar
    1 cup Coke
    2 Tbs olive oil
    *Part 4*
    1 1/2 sticks margarine to the sauce.
    1/4 cup apple butter, up to 2/3
    the remaining 2 lemon slices-rind and all
    *Part 5*
    1 Tbs chilled olive oil mixed with
    2 tsp instant orange Jell-O powder.

Procedure:

PART I

1. Combine the below ingredients and reduce to about or original volume. Be sure to cover the pan with a splatter screen.

PART II

1. Mix the following dry ingredients in a 2 cup measuring cup.

Part III

1. Combine the following three ingredients in the measuring cup with the dry liquids and mix thoroughly.

Part IV

1. Add enough water to maintain a ";dipping sauce" consistency.

Part V

1. After the sauce has cooled to room temperature, add: Gently fold the oil-Jell-O combination into the cooled sauce. Bottle and refrigerate. Heat before using.

Source
    Source: BBQ List, Magers, 1998/03/16

Sauce, BBQ, Glaze

I have this in my notes and I have used it on chicken, ribs, salmon, and by the spoonful. My notes are incomplete. Who created it and did it win any contests? I love this stuff and I would like to thank the creator.Thanks,Cape Cod

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup K.C. Masterpiece
    1 cup Grape Jelly
    2 Tbs Honey
    @ Tbs Tabasco Chipotle

Notes:

1. Try switching the grape jelly for orange/lemon for chicken or apple for pork. I think the pectin is key here. Maybe mint for lamb or your own made pepper jam for various things.

Recipe Type: BBQ Sauce

Source
    Source: BBQ Forum, Cape Cod, 2008/07/30

Sauce, BBQ, Glaze, Pork, Rib, Karls

INGREDIENTS:
    3/4 cup bottled chili sauce
    1/2 cup grape jelly
    2 tsp mustard
    3 Tbs honey
    1/4 cup brown sugar

Procedure:

1. Of course smoke your ribs first then right before you get ready to take these off the grill coat with the glaze !!

Source
    Source: BBQ List, Karl E.Moser, KE3NF, 1998/03/13

More on the news at 11.

• smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    We used to have meatballs every New Year's Eve.   Grape jelly, bbq sauce or chili sauce.

All the recipes generally trace back to the old Betty Crocker Cookbook that was falling apart on my mom's shelf.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/hot-and-saucy-cocktail-meatballs/e95d91ed-4120-4ccf-8025-926eb08493e3
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • northGAcock
    Options

Edit: 

Just bustin on you my friend. Bottom line is it is cooling off and BBQ weather throughout the south. Enjoy.

• tarheelmatt
    Options

Edit: 

Just bustin on you my friend. Bottom line is it is cooling off and BBQ weather throughout the south. Enjoy.
    That's right brotha!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Shameless self bump.   I want this sauce.  Someone has to have to goods.  Anyone.....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I wonder what the "secret" ingredient is for Kentucky BBQ sauce... ;)
    Options
    Its viscous and clear.  But I can't give it up.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Its viscous and clear.  But I can't give it up.
    Slickery answer
    Options
    There are, to the best of my knowledge, three Carolina sauces. Eastern, western and south. South is the mustard base sauce in the Palmetto State. Western is a thick tomato based sauce while eastern is a thin vinegar based sauce.
    I assume the contest being in Washington and from your description this is eastern sauce. No help on the recipe but it sounds interesting.
    Cooking on the coast
  • Stuss
    Stuss Posts: 75
    Options
    Being a native Tarheel….I grew up with my grandad cooking hogs and to answer your question….when I make BBQ sauce now I ALWAYS use grape jelly and the few folks that happen to pay attention when I making it see that and always raises questions because not many think of using it for BBQ sauce.  But in the same sense, I use bourbon too along with several other items that makes it unique.   Get very few complaints and plenty of compliments on it.  
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Stuss said:
    Being a native Tarheel….I grew up with my grandad cooking hogs and to answer your question….when I make BBQ sauce now I ALWAYS use grape jelly and the few folks that happen to pay attention when I making it see that and always raises questions because not many think of using it for BBQ sauce.  But in the same sense, I use bourbon too along with several other items that makes it unique.   Get very few complaints and plenty of compliments on it.  
    Recipe, please? 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    No **** we need recipes for grape jelly sauce. You better post or I will send the grapist to your house 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• nolaegghead
    Options
    This have anything to do with "purple drank"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_drank

Options
    G-rape jokes aren’t particularly classy.  
  • johnnyp
    Options
    This have anything to do with "purple drank"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_drank

I needed to call Jamarcus Russell to get that recipe. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    BikerBob said:
    There are, to the best of my knowledge, three Carolina sauces. Eastern, western and south. South is the mustard base sauce in the Palmetto State. Western is a thick tomato based sauce while eastern is a thin vinegar based sauce.
    I assume the contest being in Washington and from your description this is eastern sauce. No help on the recipe but it sounds interesting.
    Western Carolina (Lexington) sauce is vinegar based with a little bit of ketchup in it. Far from the thick tomato sauce you referenced.