Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Costco whole strip loin on sale once again YMMV

Options

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Snagged 2. They're darn nice. Thanks. 

• Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Just stuck one in the fridge to dry she for 45 Days. Great deal.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Mine is wet aging in the fridge. Not because I specifically wanted to wet age, but because I am lazy and I got busy...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Wolfie51sb
    Options
    As someone pointed out in the thread last week about these, choose wisely when picking out your purchase. The first three strip steaks we had from the "prime" loin I bought last week during this sale were very disappointing (and this coming from a fan of Costco's meat). I had to search the case for one that looked like prime before buying the one I did, and I'm wondering now whether I should have passed.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    edited October 2017
    Options
    As someone pointed out in the thread last week about these, choose wisely when picking out your purchase. The first three strip steaks we had from the "prime" loin I bought last week during this sale were very disappointing (and this coming from a fan of Costco's meat). I had to search the case for one that looked like prime before buying the one I did, and I'm wondering now whether I should have passed.
    What made the first three cuts disappointing? How do you go about choosing your primal?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    510BG said:
    What made the first three cuts disappointing? How do you go about choosing your primal?
    Best you can probably do is look at both ends for marbling.  I passed because the ones I had to choose from last week because they looked very lean.  In the past, I've gotten some that we're graded choice but were marbled like prime (and were fantastic).  
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Sorry to be blunt but you shouldn't be spending $125 on anything if you don't know what you're looking at. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited October 2017
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Sorry to be blunt but you shouldn't be spending $125 on anything if you don't know what you're looking at. 

I bought a stick burner that is worth about the same value as my truck. (Not saying much as I drive a 2007 Ford Ranger) I've never used a stick burner prior to the purchase. You got to start somewhere. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    The ones I saw yesterday seemed to have an especially think feeling hard fat cap. Do they intentionally put these ones out there or what? I don't like leaving that thick of a fat cap on the NY strips.
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited October 2017
    Options
    We have bought strips already cut and trimmed for 7.99-8.99 (choice) many times at Costco. SAMs also marks their meat down when near the sell by. The strips from Costco are great.
    Just got filet for 10.99 at BJ's already cut and trimmed.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Called my Costco they don’t have the same deal :-(
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I was underwhelmed with the loin I purchased from Costco with this same discount. I cut into steaks and they did not appear "prime" to my untrained eye and there was a good amount of hard fat I trimmed off as well. I'm not about to return it, but if I had to do over again I would spend less for the similar looking cut steaks they've been stocking.
    Stillwater, MN