Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV marrow bones

Options
jtcBoynton
jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
I am starting to sous vide some beef short ribs for Sunday dinner - 131ºF, 72 hour.  I have some beef marrow bones I would also like to try to sv.  The recipes I have seen call for an hour or two at higher temps.  Is there any reason that I cannot cook the marrow bones at 131ºF.  How long should they be cooked at 131ºF?  
Southeast Florida - LBGE
In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

Comments

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited July 2017
    Options
    This article may be of help, it's about chicken however the section on food safety is probably relevant:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html

specifically the bit where he talks about chicken could be sous vide cooked at just above 130ºF but why he wouldn't recommend it, referring to the end result being not as good as when cooked at a higher temp.

I also found this thread where someone cooked bone marrow at a low temp, with undesirable results:

https://www.chefsteps.com/forum/posts/sous-vided-bone-marrow-for-eating-6

So at a guess, even though it might be food hygiene safe to cook bone marrow at 131ºF for a really long period of time, maybe the end result is better if cooked at a higher temp for longer.

I have actually done experiments with chicken breast cooked at different sous vide temperatures, as per the Serious Eats article, and he's right, the texture is different depending on the sous vide temp.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm not sure SV is the best way to cook marrow, but it it might be worth it, dunno.

I've made plenty of pho with marrow bones and there are a few tricks that will help if you SV or not.

Rinse the bones well. Take the bones and put them in a big pot of cold water.  Put the pot on the stove and heat them up until it's about to boil. Take off the heat, dump the water and rinse well with cold water.  Basically you're par cooking to remove the scum and funky flavor.  This is a key step to making Pho broth and it will help with grey scum if you SV.

At this point, SV, or bake to whatever your desired temp is.  Seems like people find 155F to be acceptable.   However, I have not done them via SV.  I don't see any advantage to a long SV because it's not tough to start with.  
    Options
    I'm not sure SV is the best way to cook marrow, but it it might be worth it, dunno.

I've made plenty of pho with marrow bones and there are a few tricks that will help if you SV or not.

Rinse the bones well. Take the bones and put them in a big pot of cold water.  Put the pot on the stove and heat them up until it's about to boil. Take off the heat, dump the water and rinse well with cold water.  Basically you're par cooking to remove the scum and funky flavor.  This is a key step to making Pho broth and it will help with grey scum if you SV.

At this point, SV, or bake to whatever your desired temp is.  Seems like people find 155F to be acceptable.   However, I have not done them via SV.  I don't see any advantage to a long SV because it's not tough to start with.  
    This is exactly why I love Carrie.  Not just Porsche-philes, he shows up year after year and answers questions.  Well, there are other reasons ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    LOL, brent!  (I just make all this sh!t up)
    Options
    LOL with you.  I've never believed one thing you've said here.  Just a lowly chemist plodding away... ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    LOL with you.  I've never believed one thing you've said here.  Just a lowly chemist plodding away... ;)
    I didnt know he was a chemist. I thought he was a professional coon hunter. 

Little Rock, AR