Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL table nest on wood table

Options

Planning on putting the XL egg into a cedar table, and am wondering if all that you need is the XL table nest directly onto the wood, or do you need a paver stone on the wood and then the nest? TIA

Comments

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options

My previous table was cedar and my large just sat on a table nest no problems in 3 years.  working on the new table now with a second egg and planning on doing the same thing for both on that. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    I purchased a 24"x 24" x 1" piece of gray granite to put the XL nest on.  BGE recommends that a paver or stone be placed under the nest when using a wood table for long and slows.  Paid only 30 bucks for it.  It also helps with distributing the weight of the rig across the table shelf too.

Southwestern CT
  • vans1212
    vans1212 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have the eggs in a table nest but I suppose you could always use a piece of granite too.  I have not had any issues with just the nest either but I have 2 L BGEs
  • steelcityegger
    Options
    Thanks,  didn't see that until now about bge recommendation.  Will order a piece.  Thanks guys!  
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Its all about degrees of safety.  A piece of granite under the nest provides more protection. A paver would provide even more. Fire bricks would provide even more.  The setup I have used the green ceramic feet directly on a wood shelf - no problems for years.  But wood does age and random things happen, so I have changed out to a nest and fire bricks.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• steelcityegger
    steelcityegger Posts: 149
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thanks everybody.  Im going with the firebrick underneath the nest.  Will post a picture after I have the egg in.
  • steelcityegger
    Options
    Got the egg in the table tonight.  Table was built by RusticWoodWorx.  Based on recommendations went with the nest on top of firebrick.  

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    That is a beautiful table. Very nice set up.
    Stillwater, MN
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    Nice set up! You should it enjoy for many years. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I purchased a 24"x 24" x 1" piece of gray granite to put the XL nest on.  BGE recommends that a paver or stone be placed under the nest when using a wood table for long and slows.  Paid only 30 bucks for it.  It also helps with distributing the weight of the rig across the table shelf too.

BGE does not recommend that a table nest be set on a paver/stone. They just recommend that an Egg should not be set directly in contact with a wooden surface. They suggest the table nest to provide an air gap OR, if not using a table nest, setting an Egg on a paver. Many here feel the air gap is critical regardless.

From BGE's official table plans:

All that said, it wouldn't hurt to put a paver/stone under a table nest.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    HeavyG said:

BGE does not recommend that a table nest be set on a paver/stone. They just recommend that an Egg should not be set directly in contact with a wooden surface. They suggest the table nest to provide an air gap OR, if not using a table nest, setting an Egg on a paver. Many here feel the air gap is critical regardless.

From BGE's official table plans:

All that said, it wouldn't hurt to put a paver/stone under a table nest.
    Actually, that reference to the recommendation was from the BGE FAQs....  Being a belt and suspenders type of guy having a wood frame house, with a BGE sitting on a wooden table, atop a wooden deck attached to said wood frame house, I went with the 2nd to last line in the FAQ for maximum protection.  But thanks for keeping me honest as it may be more of a suggestion and not a recommendation from the BGE folks.

DO NOT PLACE AN EGG DIRECTLY ON A WOOD SURFACE OR ON OR NEAR ANY COMBUSTIBLE SURFACE! The bottom of the ceramic does generate significant heat when in use, and may cause combustion if placed directly on or in proximity to any combustible material. The EGG is designed to be used in a metal Nest or with the metal table Nest, allowing for an air gap below the EGG. Alternately, a concrete paver block may be used to support the EGG when used in a table. For maximum heat protection, a paver block and a metal table Nest can be used in combination. Always close both vents fully upon conclusion of cooking.
    Southwestern CT
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Where are the makers of that table.   I like it very much and may get a table soon      Was it very expensive
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston