Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ThermaQ WiFi Kit...

Options

Comments

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Wow! That looks really nice (does anyone want to buy a used Smoke?)

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    I bet the next Smoke model will be cheaper than this new model and also include Wi-Fi
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Saw this, IMO, TW really missed the mark here.  
    You can get a full blowin' FB ATC for that pricepoint.

What's the point of monitoring from your phone away from home, if you can't adjust pit temp?  Kind of like Anova's useless BT feature.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Photo Egg
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Focker said:
    Saw this, IMO, TW really missed the mark here.  
    You can get a full blowin' FB ATC for that pricepoint.

What's the point of monitoring from your phone away from home, if you can't adjust pit temp?  Kind of like Anova's useless BT feature.
    I agree on the price point. I hope the quality of the unit and probes might make up some of the difference. At least this unit is splash proof so it might be ok in light rain. I also like the selection of probes it can use.
    So many people on the forum don't use temp controllers because the Egg does pretty well on it's own. This would give them a safeguard and allow them to check the progress of the food temp. It just runs on internal batteries so no need to plug it in or use a portable batter pack might be a plus to some. Being able to set over and under alarms is nice. The Min Max might also be a nice safety feature for this of us doing long Sous Vide cooks.
    Also good for those who already have temp controllers that do not monitor the food.
    I don't know how this will play out. Thermoworks has always put out nice products with excellent customer service.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I like Thermoworks products a LOT, but that thing is kind of off on the price point (even on sale as it is now).  You can get a FB300 for that and MANAGE the temp, not just MONITOR it.  Gotta remember that they go after the commercial kitchens, restaurants, and professional chefs though.  Maybe that's not aimed at just at us backyard BBQ guys.  It will be a good unit and will sell no doubt.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

K probes - I'm in.  

I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't want a controller.  A top quality remote thermometer is exactly what I want.  The smoke is great, but this has K probes.

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Get a Fireboard and have more probes and save $50 to boot.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Options
    I like Thermoworks products a LOT, but that thing is kind of off on the price point (even on sale as it is now).  You can get a FB300 for that and MANAGE the temp, not just MONITOR it.  Gotta remember that they go after the commercial kitchens, restaurants, and professional chefs though.  Maybe that's not aimed at just at us backyard BBQ guys.  It will be a good unit and will sell no doubt.
    When will the Flame Boss 300 wifi Apps be available for Apple and Android?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    That's a question for FB......but I believe the Apple one later this month, and Android soon after.  The difference is, that the unit will broadcast straight to the phone via WiFi.  No router or internet needed.  This will also make it super easy to set up initially--no more scrolling through all those characters to enter the password.  Can't wait!!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    That's a question for FB......but I believe the Apple one later this month, and Android soon after.  The difference is, that the unit will broadcast straight to the phone via WiFi.  No router or internet needed.  This will also make it super easy to set up initially--no more scrolling through all those characters to enter the password.  Can't wait!!
    Wow.
    Now that, is a nice feature.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Pinkfacemark
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    I talked to a BBQ shop in Utah a few miles from Thermoworks HQ, the guy called TW while I was there asking about the Smoke specifically, there will be an add on wifi component to it sometime this summer.  
    Large BGE from Normal, IL 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    I talked to a BBQ shop in Utah a few miles from Thermoworks HQ, the guy called TW while I was there asking about the Smoke specifically, there will be an add on wifi component to it sometime this summer. 
    Thermoworks site lists MSRP of $89.00 for Smoke Gateway (Wi-Fi Bridge) with smartphone app "coming" in 2017. 

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Pinkfacemark
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    abpgwolf said:
    Thermoworks site lists MSRP of $89.00 for Smoke Gateway (Wi-Fi Bridge) with smartphone app "coming" in 2017. 

I should have mentioned that was in April when they told me that.  Do you have a link to the gateway?  I couldn't see it listed on their site. 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    abpgwolf said:

I should have mentioned that was in April when they told me that.  Do you have a link to the gateway?  I couldn't see it listed on their site. 
    http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke and click on the Arrow link for More Information near the bottom right of the page.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Pinkfacemark
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke and click on the Arrow link for More Information near the bottom right of the page.
    Thanks!