Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

7pm Brisket. We shall see

Options
Fire started about 8:15am

5 pound brisket injected and rubbed while fire settles in

Norwell, MA. LBGE

Comments

• Spaceman
    Spaceman Posts: 78
    Options
    Brisket on at 9:24 am. 

Grid temp 230

and we're off
    Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • Spaceman
    Options
    Injection was apple juice mixed with beef broth. 

Rub is brown sugar, salt, pepper, hot paprika, chili powder, garlic and onion powder
    Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Lookin good right there.  As you are likely aware, brisket enjoys  FTC so if you can get it across the finish-line no later than around 5PM that will give you some time for it to rest.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spaceman
    Options
    Lousubcap,  will injecting slow or speed up the cook. My thought is that it would speed up the cook as the injected liquid should rise in temp quicker than the meat would by itself. Any thoughts on this?
    Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I have never done a side-by-sde comparison with inject vs no injection.  Some here will inject at the start, others will inject when closing in on the finish-line.  Given the volume of meat to liquid here I can't see the injection doing anything temperature-wise.   
    Related, you can easily dial up the temp to help finish the cook if you think you will be pressed for time.  Flats have a tight window to nail the finish-line.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    depends on how big it is and at that temp, but I doubt youll be anywhere close to done by 7pm. I usually fire up my egg around midnight for a late lunch brisket. Like @lousubcap said: you may have to dial up the temp and FTC. Give time for at least an hour rest
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Spaceman
    Options
    One hour in

230°

Change set temperature

Set Temp

231°

Set pit alarm

Pit Temp

1%

Fan Output

136°

Meat temp

Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • Spaceman
    Options
    Lousubcap and MaC,

I agree.  I have doubts that I will get to the finish line by 5ish pm. May have to bump temp up
    Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Wrap it earlier, it will challenge the bark quality however it will be more likely to finish in time.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Spaceman
    Options

Two hours in.  IT is 146
    Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • Spaceman
    Options
    3 hours. IT 147
    Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Wrap it, not even in the stall and running out of time...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Spaceman
    Options
    Need to wrap

Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • Spaceman
    Options
    10:30 pm is the "new 7pm"

very pleased

Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    You've hit on my standard low and slow - 3+ hours late but worth it!  Beautiful result!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Did you ever bump up the temp? Foil? FTC? I should have my wife come on here and list all the times I have underestimated the arrival time of a protein off the BGE. You would have lots of reading. Lesson learned, I'm sure, but it looks like the payoff was worth it. Thanks for sharing.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Spaceman
    Options
    Bumped up the temp at 6pm to 235and at 8pm to 240. FTC for 1 hour. IT was 165 when I sliced it. 

I should have have started at 5am and done the prep the day before. 

This was best effort to date. Went with the "probe like butter technique" rather than a specific temp. Very juicy!!  
    Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    LOL @Spaceman.  Looks awesome, but those are some weak "bumps" in grid temperature!  Most would bump to 275-300 grid temp or more in a pinch like that fwiw.  But end result was still awesome!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Way to ride it to the finish-line.  Great result right there.
    As @GoooDawgs notes you can easily start at 250-280*F on the dome and plan for a bit over an hour/pound.  But that's for the next time.