Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New way to light a fire with Kick Ash Basket

Options
JohnB
JohnB Posts: 183
I've been using a kick ash basket for about a year. Love it. I've also been starting my fires by using one of those chimney starters and dumping the lit coal on top of unlit coals in the basket. One day as I lifted the basket out so I could shake the ash off the old lump it occurred to me that I could just wad up some newspaper, put it in the fire box, light it and put the basket full of lump back in place. Of course you need to open everything up, but this works like a charm and is the easiest way I've found to light it up.

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Have  you tried skipping pulling things out, and just drop an oiled paper towel in the lump?  I do this half the time and torch the other half.

Phoenix 
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
    I've got to lift the basket out anyway to shake the ash off.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Fire starter cube underneath works well and no messy ashes from the newspaper.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    I sometimes use a paper towel spritzed with peanut oil, and as you mention I have the KAB out anyway.  Seems to light a lot faster than my old method (cubes on the top).  When I use up the remaining cubes I'll probably stick to the paper towels.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96
    Options
    I use paper towels we have used to drain the grease off of bacon.  Learned that trick here- works like a charm.  I also love my KAB!
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    Anyone found that the firestarters are made with scented wax? Last 2-3 packages I bought were and it seemed to take forever for the smell to go away before I could begin to cook