Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the best bacon flavor you've made?

Options
I need some inspiration. My bacon curing skills are improving, so much so that now all my friends (well, okay, mostly my wife's friends!) are asking for regular deliveries. 

I've got the plain smoked salt and sugar cured down, and I made some whiskey smoked bacon which was okay, and some bloody Mary flavor bacon which I probably won't make again.

So what's the best flavored bacon you've made? And more importantly, how did you do it? 

Thanks! 
Large BGE -- New Jersey

Comments

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    That is like choosing your favorite child.  
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Pork salt and smoke. Simple is best for me. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I invest in the best Berkshire pork.  
    And focus more on sugar and salt ratios.
    Brer Rabbit blackstrap molasses would be my secret ingredient...then keep it simple with white and brown sugar, kosher.
    I like my bacon slightly on the salty side.

Longer two day cold smokes.

I do like flavored brats, bacon, not so much.
    Nothing wrong with it, just not my thang.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Garlic and rosemary.  Brined a la Ruhlman for 7-10 days.  In addition to his basic cure, with 4# slabs, skin on, goes 4 cloves of minced garlic and 4T of minced fresh rosemary.  Great savory bacon.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    I like using Mickey 's coffee rub for flavoring.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    Chinese 5 spice but didn't measure ammounts
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Maple sugar and black pepper or syrup with the course ground heavy black pepper.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Garlic and rosemary.  Brined a la Ruhlman for 7-10 days.  In addition to his basic cure, with 4# slabs, skin on, goes 4 cloves of minced garlic and 4T of minced fresh rosemary.  Great savory bacon.
    Thanks all! I think I'll give this flavor a go...

I would love to use fancy heritage breed pork, but since I'm giving it away, I think I'll stick with Costco bellies.

I'll post how it goes in a few weeks...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    My Bloody Mary bacon came out kinda funky too...

That Rosemary garlic bacon Brent does is my family's favorite. 

Not always best flavor profile for breakfast, but I have done a ton of things with apps, dinners, etc. 

Best was polenta cakes with goat cheese/cream cheese mix, blackberries and a blackberry BBQ sauce with it. It has become a coveted dish (cause it's a PITA to make). 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Holy hell that looks good. 

Little Rock, AR

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Kosher,br sugar,Pepper (lots of pepper) and hickory or applewood or maple. (may add some real maple syrup to the maple smoke).
  • JacksDad
    Options

So I bought some of this stuff:

Then I cured 9 lbs of Costco pork belly in Ruhlmans cure, with loads of fresh garlic and rosemary, for a week. I fried a few slices last night and it was salty but not too salty, so I didn't soak it in water. Then onto the egg at 225 over the sugar maple, with peach and apple wood for smoke.

And then I was feeling ambitious, and the wife would probably kill me if I spent any more money on egg stuff, (like an adjustable rig), so I built myself a little extra platform from some parts at the local Ace hardware. Then I had room on the egg for a pastrami (hiding in the back), 'cause why not? So here's what's going now:

Excited to try this rosemary garlic bacon! I'll post pics when it's done and sliced...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• JacksDad
    Options

The rosemary garlic bacon was awesome. Lots of garlic flavor. The rosemary kind of got lost, even though I thought I was pretty generous with it. 

I made another batch, three Costco bellies cured with just Ruhlmans and black pepper. About 25 lbs worth. Smoked it over sugar maple charcoal (which I really like now!), with chunks of peach wood. Delicious. Gonna make the neighbours happy with some deliveries this week...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Im gonna go with bacon flavored bacon....