Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear thinner ribeye?

Options
We're not a family that's going to eat huge steaks. We've settled on ribeyes being our favorite cut to grill. My method that I've worked out for medium rare steaks is about 600 degrees, cook on each side for about a minute, flip one last time and shut everything down for about a minute. Pretty darn consistent result for decent size smaller ribeyes (.75 lb each, 1/2 to 3/4 in. thick approx). 

Tried reverse searing last go round and failed, over cooked the "bake" portion. Anybody have any luck/tips with thinner steaks? Or should I just stick with conventional method? I do not currently have a thermometer/probe to keep a constant eye on internal temp

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Without an instant read thermometer you're just kind of playing a guessing game. 

I'd say do it like you have been...until the UPS guy drops off your thermapen which I'm hoping by now you have already ordered  ;)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,828
    Options
    water bath for an hour or two, then sear. or use the sousvide and sear
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    agree with @saluki2007

If you try it, when you sear do not close the dome 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    +1 to @saluki2007.  After lots of experiments I'm back to reverse sear only on 1.5"+ steaks and am often too lazy to bother until 2".  Really shines with good beef - the first SRF filets I reverse seared sold us on both RS and SRF.  Haven't tried the pan cooking method demonstrated on the SRF web site yet though...
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    An $80 instant read TP here is like taking a .308 AR to the indoor pistol range.....OVERKILL.  For a sub inch steak that cooks so fast, go by feel, even time would work to get things dialed in.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    Stick with what works. If you really want to give reverse sear another shot, try get some 2" thick ribeyes and share them, instead of having everyone get their own.

Good luck!
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options

Why not buy a nice thick ribeye, or two depending on how many you're feeding, reverse sear and slice.  I'd think the flavor will be better also.

My go to now is Duke's mayo brushed with Montreal Steak Seasoning, CI sear one minute each side, vacuum seal and sous vide 1.5-2 hours at 130.  Then CI sear again one minute each side.  Perfect for our tastes every time with no fuss. 

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    We are not a family of huge eaters either but I like cooking thicker steaks. I just buy 2-3 steaks for my family of 5 (or one big steak if it is just the wife and I). I slice up the meat on a cutting board and let everyone grab what they want. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    Webass said:

Why not buy a nice thick ribeye, or two depending on how many you're feeding, reverse sear and slice.  I'd think the flavor will be better also.

My go to now is Duke's mayo brushed with Montreal Steak Seasoning, CI sear one minute each side, vacuum seal and sous vide 1.5-2 hours at 130.  Then CI sear again one minute each side.  Perfect for our tastes every time with no fuss. 

I have to agree with Webass here. Cook a thicker steak and share it as opposed to smaller portions for each. My wife and I do this all the time.....and she is still with me so must be doing something right.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,828
    Options
    thicker steak, even if you only cook half of it is a good option, heres a piece of dry aged cut in half for two meals during the week ;)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pwshine
    pwshine Posts: 48
    Options
    Without an instant read thermometer you're just kind of playing a guessing game. 

I'd say do it like you have been...until the UPS guy drops off your thermapen which I'm hoping by now you have already ordered  ;)
    I should clarify, I have a thermometer, but not one where I can leave the probe in and monitor temps at all times with dome closed 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Thermapen or no Thermapen, thinner steaks won't benefit from reverse sear.  If you love your steaks the way you're doing them, keep doing them the way you love!

For my own taste, I'm with those who suggested sharing thick steaks, because it's just inescapable: there's MUCH more juicy red meat compared to browned savory seared meat, and I like that.  But we all have different tastes!  If you love steaks the way you cook them, keep cooking them that way!
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Focker

there is no kill like overkill. 

Here, have a gummy bear. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    A 1/2" steak is way way too thin to bother with reverse sear.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,173
    Options
    pwshine said:
    We're not a family that's going to eat huge steaks. We've settled on ribeyes being our favorite cut to grill. My method that I've worked out for medium rare steaks is about 600 degrees, cook on each side for about a minute, flip one last time and shut everything down for about a minute. Pretty darn consistent result for decent size smaller ribeyes (.75 lb each, 1/2 to 3/4 in. thick approx). 

Tried reverse searing last go round and failed, over cooked the "bake" portion. Anybody have any luck/tips with thinner steaks? Or should I just stick with conventional method? I do not currently have a thermometer/probe to keep a constant eye on internal temp

Not knocking your method, but do you have any eyebrows?