Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF corned beef from Costco

Options
Hntnhrd
Hntnhrd Posts: 713
edited March 2017 in EggHead Forum
I found this a few weeks ago at Costco. I have never been a huge corned beef fan but
1. This was from Snake River Farms and
2.Look at the marbelimg in the thing . How could I not try it. 

I didn't want to just boil the thing. I saw were some one suggested smoking them but also to soak them so they aren't salty. 30 hours of soak time and coated it with " muther f'ing rat rub" ( my favorite brisket Rub) and on the egg

At 170 internal temp I took it off the Egg. I poured a whole corona into the pressure cooker and used a sweet onion cut into chunks to keep the roast up out of the beer. 

1 hour in the presssure cooker and it was ready to slice. 

Not traditional corned beef beef and cabbage . More like pastrami and Freedom Fries!! But damn was it good. Once again with tips I have picked up from this forum my family is very happy with their meal.

Comments

• Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Really wanting to make my own pastrami! This is just continuing to push me in that direction. 

Brandon - Ohio

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Spot on! It looks really good. I have a couple soaking myself. They won't be SRF quality but I won't have any problem throwing a few back. I'm surprised a bald eagle didn't swoop down and try a little taste of those freedom fries!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    That plate looks fantastic.
    Stillwater, MN
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I saw one of those in a local grocery store. It was around $55.
    I don't recall if it was Kobe, but is was SRF for sure
    Are they a better deal at Costco?
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    It was $7 something a pound . This roast was under $30. If there are any left this weekend I will grab a couple for the freezer
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that looks awesome.  At $7 a lb I would be all over that. I paid way more for boars head at the Publix deli.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have a point I picked up at Walmart. Soaked it 24 hrs with 3 water changes. I'm going to smoke it today. I was going to steam it in the instantpot but someone suggested sous vide would be better?  
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Spot on! It looks really good. I have a couple soaking myself. They won't be SRF quality but I won't have any problem throwing a few back. I'm surprised a bald eagle didn't swoop down and try a little taste of those freedom fries!
    Thats hilarious!  Made me think of (for the first time in years) this shirt and review:

Little Rock, AR

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Thats hilarious!  Made me think of (for the first time in years) this shirt and review:

Now that is some funny stuff! That last paragraph had me rolling. Thanks for that!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    I need that shirt !!
  • GregW
    Options
    Man that looks awesome.  At $7 a lb I would be all over that. I paid way more for boars head at the Publix deli.  
    I always wanted a Publix. until I got one in my neighborhood.
    It hurts always paying 25% too much.
    Produce selection is good.
    The meat is not so good, it is low grade choice at best.

• GregW
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    It was $7 something a pound . This roast was under $30. If there are any left this weekend I will grab a couple for the freezer
    That's a lot better than the local Piggly Wiggly not far from me.