Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For those with AR

Options
I also purchased the spider and stone for those times when I need to do a lot.

My question lies here.  

In a large using the spider and stone.  Are you able to get many hours? I have no idea since I always fill to the top of my fire ring, and I can get a good 20 hours that way.  But if I need to lower so I can get pork butts on multiple racks, just curious how many hours of fuel you guys are able to get?  Enough to run 4-5 butts on 2 racks naked the whole time at a lower temp?  Or should I plan on going around 300 and foiling to be able to manage getting by with less charcoal?

Thanks

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Plenty of time for Turbo Butts. 
    TURBO BUTTS

·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 (+ or -) hours to internal to 200. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!

Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple ((same amt of time)) or more for more protein )
    .         Note:  The butt box is not required unless holding for dinner. 
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, 
    then rub once more. Ps: I do not foil on the Egg. Also good with the coffee rub. 
    FTC afterwards.   

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @bhedges1987  I think you will have plenty of time.  I bought the same setup.  

Check this out...
    Spider and stone:

Drip pan:

Two butts on the bottom and brisket on top:

That was the dry run for fit. Note there was light...

The real show: brisket went on at 7:00 PM. Butts went on at 9-9:30. Note it is dark out.

Next morning it is light again:

I pulled one one butt off at 11 and the other butt and the brisket off at 12 noon. Dome was 225-235F everytime I looked, and I do not have a controller.

Truth being told, I loaded it/packed it with lump to the point the stone would lay flat, but it was off the spider just a bit - maybe 1/2 inch. Once I knew the lump was burning good, I put the stone on. Then let egg stabilize at 225F, then assembled as shown above.  There was leftover lump, though I can not remember how much. I remember looking and thinking I could have gone a couple more hours. I just can't remember how much was left. I was using Rockwood.

I was hesitant and had the same concern as you, but not anymore.  Next time I will not overfill.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Thanks all!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    You can also invert the spider to give more room for the lump.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    the issue is temp readings with 4 butts in a large egg, almost impossible to get a descent reading with all that cold meat in there. you will want to chase temps if doing it manually or your controller will chase temps (this eats up lump, i literally had a 1000 degree fire under the stone while all my temp readings were under 200) you really need to stabilize and trust things for the first several hours, a 1000 degree fire eats right thru the lump fast ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Thought this might have been a gun thread.

I do an oval stone on the bottom rack, then do a rack on the setting just above that, then have a raised rack (AR accessory) above the top of the AR. I can fit 4 butts in the Large, or 2 butts and a brisket.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.