Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Correlating dome and grill temps

Options
GrillSgt
GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
edited March 2017 in EggHead Forum
I haven't pulled the plug on a wireless unit yet but am leaning heavily to the FireBoard. My question is how do I measure the temp and correlate the grill temp with the dome temp? So if I would normally be doing a low and slow at 250 would I wait until it comes to temp and then assume the grill temp stays constant like the dome temp? Thanks

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    how do I ... correlate the grill temp with the dome temp?  You don't.

then assume the grill temp stays constant like the dome temp?   NO

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    You don't correlate them, you pick one or the other and you use it to set your temperature.  Be consistent, don't swap back and forth, pick one, use it.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You may be able to use the remote probe in the dome of your egg.  Probes come in different diameters, some fit the egg dome and others will not.  

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes in a L&S long smoke eventually the grid temp will stabilize to the dome temp. Hot and fast not so much. Nobody really gives recipes and temps based off of grid temp. Dome temp is pretty status quo.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Thanks. I will figure it out, that's part of the beauty of the egg. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    You don't have to do all your cooking by monitoring only the grill or dome thermometer.  For direct cooks, the dome thermometer seems to work well.  For low-n-slows, the grill temp (with a controller) seems to work best for me.  Just make sure not to switch back and forth when doing the same type of cook.

Temp probe placement on the grill is sensitive.  Make sure it's well into the shadow of the indirect stone.  I once used two pit temp probes placed about 3/8" apart on the grill ... they maintained a 10 degrees differential for the entire cook ... and yes, they were both checked in boiling water at the same time.  When using the BGE plate setter, I always place one leg of the plate setter directly under the dome thermometer to shield it from the rising gasses ... seems to be more consistent that way.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• GrillSgt
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sorry I probably didn't explain myself well. I'm buying the wireless basically for low and slow cooks. Especially overnights. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    On a low fire the grid temp will usually start out lower than the dome temp but they will even out over time. So, if you are targeting 250 dome I suspect when you start out the grid temp will be 225ish but it will creep up and eventually they will be about the same. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Sorry I probably didn't explain myself well. I'm buying the wireless basically for low and slow cooks. Especially overnights. 

I highly recommend the Thermoworks smoke if you are not looking for a controller.  the accuracy is great and very easy to set up. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

For me, dome temp is just an indicator of movement when heating up.  I focus on grate temp.

Phoenix 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Below is the Stoker Log on a Hot and Fast Butt Cook I did awhile back. I start up my Stoker once the Egg settles in close to the temp I want.
    I have 2 fire probes, One in the Dome, BLUE, and one at the grid, RED.
    And 2 meat probes, one in each butt.
    The RED, grid level, Fire probe is the Blower trigger probe.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX