Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a 9# pork butt and don't know who to listen to on times (turbo v. traditional)

Options
I have about twelve hours to cook.  It's a nine pound Boston Butt, so 12 hours is just under the 13.5 that the rule of thumb for butts cooking in 1.5/pound.  So, I am thinking 12 hours at 275 should do it.

I am planning on injecting (for the first time ever) and a rub, smoking with pecan.  

Anyone have suggestions since I seem to be compromising between turbo cooking and slow smoking?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    Start at 275*F and once you know you are going to finish inside the FTC window adjust the temp to finish when you want.  As long as your rub does not contain a large amount of sugar you can go into the low 350's to punch it home if needed.  FWIW-
    BTW- the pig doesn't care-it will finish when good and ready.  The higher the cook temp the shorter the stall.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I back the temp into the time window that I have.  

I use the following approximate cooking times for pork butt/shoulder:

225º:  2 hours a pound

250º: 1.5 hours a pound

275º:  1 hour per pound

350º:  30-45 mins per pound

Add a couple of hours for cooling and as a safety margin for the timings. There is a good amount of variability between individual pieces so take all times as rough. Times assume a full sized butt - 7-10 pounds. Temps are dome.  If things are going slower than expected you can always boost the temp up mid-cook.  

For your 9 pounder and a window of 12 hours, I would start out at 275º.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I've done smaller butts (4-5  lbs) at 350 and it was +/- an hour per pound. I've also been told by a butcher to let it rest for an hour. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Today I put two 7 1/2  pounders on at 9:00 am. Ran it 300 the entire time. Done at 4;30 pm. Never had to adjust temp the entire time. 

Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Remember, FTC is completely unnecessary. So don't think you need an hour or two on the back end for the butt to unwind after a long hot day. You don't.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FarmerTom
    Options
    Remember, FTC is completely unnecessary. So don't think you need an hour or two on the back end for the butt to unwind after a long hot day. You don't.
    Agree, but it's a good tool if you want to be sure you're finished early and not scrambling at the last minute.  And crap, there's two of these threads. Take your pick, all good advice. IMHO. 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• SmokeySailor
    Options
    Being a newbie on here this is the first time I've heard anyone suggest smoking a pork butt anywhere near 300, let alone 350.  It gives me hope that I can smoke a pork butt AND be able to sleep the night before.  Is there any difference in the quality of the finished product between one cooked at 225 and one cooked at 350?  Also what is FTC?
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    XL BGE - AR Rig Combo - Bunch of other things I don't know how to use...
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Being a newbie on here this is the first time I've heard anyone suggest smoking a pork butt anywhere near 300, let alone 350.  It gives me hope that I can smoke a pork butt AND be able to sleep the night before.  Is there any difference in the quality of the finished product between one cooked at 225 and one cooked at 350?  Also what is FTC?
    You will get half the replies saying only low and slow is the best and the other half saying you will not tell the difference.  I have personally done both L&S and turbo many times.  I nor anyone else who has eaten my pulled pork has ever said they could tell something was different.  My normal method is have it in the smoke at 250 until the stall, sometimes I wrap in foil, sometimes not depends on how the mood hits me. I bump temp up to 350 to power through the stall.  FTC is wrap in foil, towels and into a cooler to rest.  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Some will say otherwise, but I prefer the results at 250 degrees over 325. Having said that, if time is an issue you can still get a worthwhile product above 300 degrees.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2017
    Options
    TURBO BUTTS

·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 (+ or -) hours to internal to 200. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!

Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple ((same amt of time)) or more for more protein )
    .         Note:  The butt box is not required unless holding for dinner. 
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, 
    then rub once more. Ps: I do not foil on the Egg. Also good with the coffee rub. 
    FTC afterwards or not.  

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.