Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted veggies are becoming my favorite side dish.

Options
These are potatoes, broccoli and onion drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with garlic powder, paprika and red pepper flakes. I toss it together and put it in the oven for about 20 minutes at 400, then take it out, stir the veggies and add the onions to one side then back in the oven for another 10 minutes. That way the onions don't burn and are sorta separate from the others as my wife does not like the onion.
To go with the veggies are some chicken thighs cooked indirect at 350 to internal of 170 dusted with some Weber Salt-free seasoning and some Weber Kickin' Chicken seasoning too. Had them both so why not use both?
Very tasty meal and easy to prepare.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    This just made me really hungry.  Looks delicious brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    That looks fantastic!  I could go for this meal several times a week.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    This just made me really hungry.  Looks delicious brother!
    Thank you. I always appreciate the positive feedback.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    That looks fantastic!  I could go for this meal several times a week.
    Thank you. Yeah, it was pretty darn good.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sometimes I will do that... without the protein. Every bit as good.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That really looks good. Nice work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Love the vegetables!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Those look great! I love veggies and now I'm going to have to start eating more. My AIC is creeping up and Dr said cut sugar/carbs. I can do this and sub potatoes with something else... maybe sweet potatoes 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I love doing veggies on the egg.  Do the chicken on a raised grid and put your pan of veggies under it to catch those good drippings. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JT272929
    JT272929 Posts: 106
    Options
    I've been using roasted vegetables as part of my meal prep the last 4 weeks. I'm doing Sweet Potatoes and Carrots for about 45-50 min at 425, then Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Poblanos, Green Pepper, and Red Pepper for about 25 min. Love it!

West Des Moines, IA. Pit Boss K24, Anova Sous Vide, Maverick 733, BBQ Guru Party Q, Looftlighter

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great veggies make any meal good!!  I like your combination!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    I love doing veggies on the egg.  Do the chicken on a raised grid and put your pan of veggies under it to catch those good drippings. 
    I have done it that way before, but I prefer the veggies to get a little crispy. When done in the drip tray they seemed a little soggy to me. Done in the oven with a light coating of olive oil crisps up the potatoes and broccoli nicely. Either way is good though.
  • Sweet100s
    Options
    Hey Epcot, 

If you are going on a Veggie binge, next try:

Zucchini + Onions + Eggplant + with this greek seasoning
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/231228/greek-seasoning-blend/
    egg'd on 400-ish.

Last time I made that + Leg of Lamb, the veggies were almost gone before I could slice the lamb! 

all above + Cedars Tzatziki is an awesome meal
    https://www.cedarsfoods.com/cucumber-garlic-tzatziki

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    That's a good looking cook. I'm going to roast some veggies this weekend. I have been sautéing them, need to change it up.

Need more ideas on seasoning though.

Is this your preferred seasoning?
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have done it that way before, but I prefer the veggies to get a little crispy. When done in the drip tray they seemed a little soggy to me. Done in the oven with a light coating of olive oil crisps up the potatoes and broccoli nicely. Either way is good though.
    I understand.  Have you ever tried using something like this?  Helps let the moisture escape and the veggies crisp up.

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    edited February 2017
    Options

This is the way we do our veggies, in a grill basket.  Tossed in EVOO and Nasture's Seasons. Raised direct in the 375-400 range, continuously tossing, and a splash of sesame oil and/or Szechuan sauce at the end.  Level of crispness depends on how long you cook them.  We like them with a little crunch. Great flavor! 

We do them as a side or over a big baked potato with leftover pulled pork/brisket/chicken breasts, jack cheese, BBQ sauce, etc.     

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• epcotisbest
    Options
    Cashfan said:
    That's a good looking cook. I'm going to roast some veggies this weekend. I have been sautéing them, need to change it up.

Need more ideas on seasoning though.

Is this your preferred seasoning?
    Don't really have a preferred seasoning. I just sprinkle on whatever is handy. I have used just salt and pepper and the veggies taste fine too. Trying different seasoning combinations is fun, and so far I have not messed them up too bad.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    I understand.  Have you ever tried using something like this?  Helps let the moisture escape and the veggies crisp up.

Good idea using the grill pan with holes. I have something similar to that. I'll have to give it a try.
    I did some thighs and sprouts directly in the pan awhile back, just put the thighs right in the pan over the sprouts. Turned out pretty good and the best part was no clean up, but the sprouts were soggy.

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Been roasting veg for years now. Good carbs like carrots, parsnips, sweet taters. Onions, peppers, mushrooms added sometimes. Try Dizzy Pig Curry-ish on them, wow!  Yours look delish!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited February 2017
    Options
    We love roasting veggies. Asparagus, kale, brussel sprouts, beets. Just know you'll get a better roast if you don't crowd the pan. It'll steam instead when overcrowded. Qnami makes a great veggie rub when roasting as well. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Go asparagus!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    We love roasting veggies. Asparagus, kale, brussel sprouts, beets. Just know you'll get a better roast if you don't crowd the pan. It'll steam instead when overcrowded. Qnami makes a great veggie rub when roasting as well. 
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try not crowding so much in the pan next time.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have an older version of this(more of a basket) with a lid. It works quite well. Found it at the Williams Sonoma Outlet for cheap.

High-Heat Nonstick Steel Grill Fry Pan

EDIT: Here is the one I have. 

Image result for williams sonoma grill basket
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Thanks. That looks like an interesting and useful grill pan or basket.