Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cashew Chicken - 1st wok cook

Options
First cook with the wok. 

Did some cashew chicken stir fry. 

What exactly is the reason for wanting to wok over CI might I ask? Any reason other than fun?

anyways, it was really good. 

Thanks for looking 

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    Options
    Looks good!

Options
    Thanks.  Also a question for those who wok.  How do you go about cleaning it.  Instructions say to wash after, but doesn't specify if I am to use soap.  So I scrubbed with a brush as the instructions said, and used a small bit of soap.  Added some grapeseed oil and put in the oven at 450 for 30 min ( I know that's not necessary, but didn't know exactly how to clean it as of yet)

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I keep a cup of water and a long handled Lodge brush handy. As soon as I plate the stir fry I add the wok back on the heat and pour a cup or so of water in the wok. As it heats swish and scrub a bit and the food should come loose. Dump the water in the yard, add the pan back to dry quickly, add a bit of oil then set aside. This won't take two minutes. 

Plan B is set the wok in the sink after dinner, add hot water and scrub a bit. It will come clean without soap 95% of the time. Dry, oil, and put away. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • paqman
    Options
    I use soap but mine has a good seasoning of about 10+ layers of flaxseed oil.  I would probably wait before using soap.

Options
    a little water and the brush while its still scorching hot on the egg right after plating like SciAggie said. i usually just use the water and the wok shovel. you will get better searing on the chicken if you do that in two batches, it finish cooks later when you add things back in.  the restaurants have the faucet right over the woks  and burners to get that flash steaming lift of stuck food off between cooks. you want just enough water that it jumps violently  when you add it to get the proper lift
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Very nice looking cook there. I love the picture with the sun going down. Awesome shot. You have good advice above on your cleaning question. I have to give you a

Keep on woking brother!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't use soap, just water and something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/M-V-Trading-4727421-Cleaning-Whisk/dp/B00012F3WM (Amazon is expensive, you can pick one up at a local Asian store for ~$3)

Gets rid of all the stuck on food easily, then heat up to evaporate the water, coat in a thin layer of oil and put away for storage.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • DoubleRay415
    Options

Wok-ing is pretty fun!  What brown sauce have you been using?  I've been going with this easy recipe to start:

1/2 cup of chicken stock

1 tbl sp of soy sauce

1 tbl sp oystersauce

1 tbl sp of Chinese rice wine

Mixing this in with a onion, garlic, ginger base to start, I've been getting some good flavor for stir frys.  Add in a corn starch slurry and you'll be good to go. 

• blockmaster
    Options
    To clean, after I plate the food I will squirt some water in while the wok is on the heat and wipe clean with a cloth.  Then I just turn the wok over in the egg as the fire dies down.  Takes 26.5 seconds to clean my wok.
    Dallas, TX - 1 Large BGE, 28in Blackstone
    Instagram - @jetcooks
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    edited February 2017
    Options
    To clean, after I plate the food I will squirt some water in while the wok is on the heat and wipe clean with a cloth.  Then I just turn the wok over in the egg as the fire dies down.  Takes 26.5 seconds to clean my wok.
    This is the easiest method and usually effective. I've watched the cooks in a Chinese restaurant and they also have a stainless steel scouring pad on hand like this. Push it around quickly with the cooking chopsticks (or a long handled spoon) to eliminate any sticky bits as needed.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • paqman
    Options
    I used to wash with water while the wok was still hot but the water over the leftover oil created a mess on the deck and SWMBO was not happy about it...  it workd well...

That would be a huge hit in our household...great cook!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,043
    Options
    Yes sir!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Solid!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Nice!
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...