Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Fixed That Blackstone Drip

Options
i haven't finished my table so I have been cooking with my Blackstone on the driveway. I have two nasty grease stains from that stupid grease trap over drip. 

But no more. Just a little JB Weld High Heat in a funnel shape and it works like a charm. 

Thanks @blasting for posting that hack a while back. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• FarmerTom
    Options
    I was having the same issue and noticed that on the top right front edge where the right hand vertical side meets the drip v, there was a small space that allowed the grease to run over the edge of the drip channel and flow back on the underside.  I took the top to my shop and built up a small weld in that area and it forced the grease to then run into the channel and not over the corner.  And I also added more weld to that small extrusion on the underside.  So far, it seems to have stopped the flow back problem.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Thank you both for the shout out. @killit_and_grillit  @bgebrent.   It's been about 300 uses, and the fix seems to be holding.

Phoenix 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    blasting said:

Thank you both for the shout out. @killit_and_grillit  @bgebrent.   It's been about 300 uses, and the fix seems to be holding.

I did it the day you posted it and it's been at least that many uses on mine and still going strong as well! Great fix, @blasting

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    caliking said:
    This redneck fix has worked for me so far. Have the JB Weld but haven't got around to putting it on yet. 

That may be a better fix, just toss the can when it fills up.  Cleaning the small trap can be a PITA.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Focker said:
    caliking said:
    This redneck fix has worked for me so far. Have the JB Weld but haven't got around to putting it on yet. 

That may be a better fix, just toss the can when it fills up.  Cleaning the small trap can be a PITA.

This is genius
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Focker said:
    caliking said:

Yup. That's the plan. Somehow, I have a nearly endless supply of empty beer cans :smiley:

May never get to putting the JB weld on , given my knack for procrastination.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Focker said:
    caliking said:

This is genius
    We are doing this! I don't know why we didn't think of it! I wonder if we could find a way to attach one of the Yeti can holders that we never use.
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • Focker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Focker said:
    caliking said:

Yup. That's the plan. Somehow, I have a nearly endless supply of empty beer cans :smiley:

May never get to putting the JB weld on , given my knack for procrastination.
    Just what we need, another reason to drink.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @caliking, owe you a beer or two some day.  

Used a foil ball smashed down, to makeshift a gunk/grease push.  I still believe the jb weld is needed, to divert the grease around the first flaw and into the can, at least for the 28.

Geneseo, IL Wally World has four 28s for $75, hmmmm. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Focker I am still trying to figure out how to run the grease trap out the back and drain into a bucket when I build it in my table. 

Im thinking cut a metal pipe in half and let it dump out the back. Until then...beer can it is!!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Focker
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @Focker I am still trying to figure out how to run the grease trap out the back and drain into a bucket when I build it in my table. 

Im thinking cut a metal pipe in half and let it dump out the back. Until then...beer can it is!!
    Flexible steel conduit, in the right diameter, pushed on the end and run out the back, may work.

One of the farmers from Berkwood Farms rigged up 5 electric griddles to each run into 5 gallon buckets, when we do Baconfest in Des Moines.  A chef takes the grease when we're done at the end of the day.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options

My old stove top Jenn Aire has a simple but brilliant Mason jar lid mounted underneath a slightly sloped area where a hole allows the hot grease to run into a pint jar. Bet you could dam each end and do the same for your built in.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Focker - its a date! Too bad I don't live in Iowa City any more :)

I'm actually thinking of using the JB weld to fix a long piece of flat bar vertically along the long edge. To keep grease from spilling over the front end. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Focker
    Options
    caliking said:

I'm actually thinking of using the JB weld to fix a long piece of flat bar vertically along the long edge. To keep grease from spilling over the front end. 
    Some day brother, we will. :)  
    IA City is fun.  Going there for the IA vs IL b-ball game Sat.

JB weld is some strong stuff.  It would easily hold a piece of Al flat stock by tacking it up, holding it in place with a clamp or two.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Focker said:
    caliking said:

Some day brother, we will. :)  
    IA City is fun.  Going there for the IA vs IL b-ball game Sat.

JB weld is some strong stuff.  It would easily hold a piece of Al flat stock by tacking it up, holding it in place with a clamp or two.

2 observations Brandon...last first...Personally due to prior grease I'd suggest drilling a couple holes and attaching with a couple bolts and nuts instead of JBW.

Secondly how many points are the bookies giving for the poor suckers betting for Illinois to win? LOL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Focker said:
    @caliking, owe you a beer or two some day.  

Used a foil ball smashed down, to makeshift a gunk/grease push.  I still believe the jb weld is needed, to divert the grease around the first flaw and into the can, at least for the 28.

Geneseo, IL Wally World has four 28s for $75, hmmmm. Lol
    Dang it! I keep reading about these bargain 28s. $75, I would jump on that in a heartbeat. Did the brickseek thing and none within 100 miles on WM clearance. Local hardware store does have the 28 in stock for $219, which I just can't justify. Guess I will just be happy for those who do score the bargain.
  • BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    I just read on their website that if you bend a paper clip into the shape of a T it will also help the grease drip go into the can.
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @BrookieP that is absurd that their solution is about $.02 ghetto fix but they can't throw a few grand across the board to fix the design flaw. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @BrookieP that is absurd that their solution is about $.02 ghetto fix but they can't throw a few grand across the board to fix the design flaw. 
    @Killit_and_Grillit ... you could go high tech with a fine linked chain.  Chains have been used as downspouts for awhile.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

It would be pretty simple to fix.  They already thought to put a drip point (on the 36" anyway).  All they would have to do is move that weld point over 3/4".  

Oh well, it gives us something to dicuss instead of lump and politics.

Phoenix 
  • Ag83
    Ag83 Posts: 34
    Options
    Per their website, that's exactly what they're doing.

"Thank you for sharing with us what has worked for you so that it can hopefully help others. We are working on a new design for the top that will hopefully solve the grease problems completely. Hopefully in the next year or so."
  • Focker
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Son requested pancakes for supper last minute.  Added some bacon and eggs and in short order, we have brinner!

No more greasy leg!!!!!
    Can and JB worked flawlessly.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Focker said:
    Son requested pancakes for supper last minute.  Added some bacon and eggs and in short order, we have brinner!

No more greasy leg!!!!!
    Can and JB worked flawlessly.
    That does look like a simple and rather clever solution.