Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does size matter?(packer brisket)

Options
Is there any difference between a larger packer brisket and a smaller one? I usually buy 16lbs briskets but I want to do a smaller one this weekend say 12 lbs. Not sure if there is a big difference in the fat cap or amount of fat. Thanks!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    No butcher here but in my experience the primary source of the weight change is the width of the brisket once you get above around 12 lbs or so.  The length seems pretty much a constant.
    Regarding the fat composition and thickness- I don't see any measurable difference across packer weights. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The larger ones cost more!

JK of course. I just think any larger cut gives you a wider window of success. This goes for everything from steaks to roasts IMO. It takes slightly longer to pass through the "perfect zone" of temperature. The smaller or thinner the cut the quicker it moves through the zone, again IMO.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The larger ones I find typically need less trimming than the small ones. Sometimes the flat can taper out to less than an inch on the small ones so I wind up cutting the flat back up to 2-3 inches and saving the trimmings for burgers. 
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Miked125 said:
    Is there any difference between a larger packer brisket and a smaller one? I usually buy 16lbs briskets but I want to do a smaller one this weekend say 12 lbs. Not sure if there is a big difference in the fat cap or amount of fat. Thanks!
    where do you buy?
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada