Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Running Too Hot??

Options
I'm visiting the daughter who has the same setup as I do at home.
XLBGE with the DigiQ Temp Controller.
We did everything normal and set the pit temp at 275 for a 17# brisket. Problem is that the actual pit temp is running at 300. The DigiQ pit probe is attached to the dome temp gage and both the the dome and DigiQ agree. I even closed the fan baffle down to about half which I normally don't do.
The DigiQ fan isn't running at all and the daisy wheel is only cracked open about 1/8" so there must be excess air coming in from somewhere.
Where????????

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Are the gaskets good?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options

Don't know why the temp is different, but the good news is 25 degrees ain't gonna hurt the end product at all.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    JohnH12 said:
     there must be excess air coming in from somewhere.
    Where????????

standard test for air gaps is the dollar bill test.

take a dollar bill, place it on the edge of the base and close the dome.  When you pull the dollar bill, do you get resistance or not?  If not, your dome is not fully kissing the base.  band adjustments may be required

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    gamason said:

Don't know why the temp is different, but the good news is 25 degrees ain't gonna hurt the end product at all.

Absolutely agree

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have my blower (10 CFM, LBGE) set so that it's only open 1/3. Been that way since day one. Perhaps with it open 1/2 or more, too much air is being sucked in, even when the fan isn't running. That, or you have another air leak somewhere. Lower vent not tight maybe?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I clip my pit temp probe on the grate where the protein is. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    dstearn said:
    I clip my pit temp probe on the grate where the protein is. 
    I guess that seems logical, but oven manufacturers place their temp sensors at the top of the oven. BGE places their dome thermo at the top of the egg. And recipes are usually based on those temps, not grid temp. Mine gets clipped to the dome probe.

Probably doesn't matter. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Thanks to all.
    I don't have time to check everything recommended during this trip but I'll plan on replacing the gasket and realigning the dome when I return in June.
    I also may run some hi-temp silicone around the intake.
    North Texas is extremely windy (as usual) so that may be a factor too.
    The brisket will maybe cook a little faster but I'd rather finish early and hold it in the cooler than be late for the feed.
    just not in the mood for pizza tonight. :s