Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

45 Minute French Bread

Options
Yes, you read right... 45 minutes start to finish French Bread on the Big Green Egg. 

And there was another one like it. 

But..... There's always a 'but.' It wasn't fully done in the center. 

But, I learned enough to try again and I will expect different results. I may try it in the oven though, because I may not be allowing for the proper temperature differences between the baking area and the dome temperature. I added 50° to the dome temperature but that may have been too much. We'll see when I try again. And yes, there will be an 'again.' 

Spring "Note To File: Don't Cook Bread While Dieting" Chicken 
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That looks great!  45 minutes!  Incredible.  Details?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    God I love bread 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The only French bread I ever see is 2-3" in diameter. If your recipe expects you to make a long skinny loaf, that might explain why a fat loaf wasn't done in the middle after baking for the suggested time. Dunno, never tried French bread.

But that's a purty loaf!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    That looks great!  45 minutes!  Incredible.  Details?
    Thanks.

This is what I used from something I found somewhere.  See below  

Be sure to preheat your Egg to 400° so it will be ready to bake.

I just needed 3 1/2 cups of flour and maybe a tablespoon for kneading into a ball before making into loaves.

Combine the water, honey, salt and yeast and let set until bubbly (about 10 minutes)

add flour and knead until not sticky (about two minutes in my mixer)

Cover bowl with towel for 10 to 15 minutes.

Form into ball, cut in half and make two loaves.

Place on a baking sheet (I used parchment paper in mine)

Bake 15 to 20 minutes @ 400° until done. (I used 450° in the Egg. Use 400°)

Spring "Do It Right Next Time" Chicken

Easy French Bread

Prep time 30 mins
    Cook time 15 mins
    Total time 45 mins

Ingredients
    • 1½ cups warm water
    • 1 tablespoon honey
    • 1½ teaspoons salt
    • 1 tablespoons Active Dry Yeast
    • 3½ - 4½ cups flour
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Thank you brother Spring, killing French bead on the egg, Chicken!  Gonna give it a go.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Looks awesome!!  Hard to beat homemade bread 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Bake 15 to 20 minutes @ 400° until done. (I used 450° in the Egg. Use 400°)
    Bingo. The pic of your loaf looks like one of Julie's Camp Bread loaves (size and shape wise). Camp bread is baked at 400° for 30 minutes, then 10 more without the lid. To an IT of 200°. You baked what appears to be a similar size/shape at the same oven temp for half the time. So, not done in the middle. Make skinny loaves... or bake longer.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut