Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken pot pie on the egg.

Options
Hntnhrd
Hntnhrd Posts: 713
Cheating a little tonight. Picked up this premade chicken pot pie at Costco. Since it's acceptable to do papa Murphy pizzas I thought this would be ok :anguished:

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Can't think of a thing wrong with that unless it is that I did not think of that too. Looking forward to completed pics.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I love chicken pot pie! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Let us know if egging enhanced the flavor in this...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    Just a little longer 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Curious how you like it. Last bought one I purchased was at Whole Foods. Was good but not great. Looking for a good source.....and too lazy to make it.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Full Crust?    Sign Me Up.    Nothing beats this in cold (for SoCal) weather.

Are there DIY recipes?   
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    Well wasn't a fail but the top crust picked up some hint of charcoal. I thought it was fine but the taste bugged my better half. It was good though kept my streak alive going on three weeks that I haven't used the stove in the house. Either the egg or blackstone !! We love the Costco pot pies. A lot of chicken and great flavor and less work then making yourself. This one was $17.50 can't hardly make em for that. 
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    I've done a few...well more than a few myself =)
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Every time I do something like this it's always got a little smoke in the bread. Just enough to where my wife doesn't care for it. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• pgprescott
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    Well wasn't a fail but the top crust picked up some hint of charcoal. I thought it was fine but the taste bugged my better half. It was good though kept my streak alive going on three weeks that I haven't used the stove in the house. Either the egg or blackstone !! We love the Costco pot pies. A lot of chicken and great flavor and less work then making yourself. This one was $17.50 can't hardly make em for that. 
    Was there left over smoking wood or animal fat in the egg? What brand of charcoal did you use? A clean egg and good charcoal will leave no smoke taste. Looks awesome! 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Charcoal needs to burn a bit longer before you put it on.  I make a lot of pies on my egg.  I make sure the coal has been used prior, and I let it run for a good 45 min again before the pie goes on.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Hntnhrd
    Options
    No wood and last cook was pizza at 600 . I let it burn for about an hour had they egg up to 500 and dialed down to 375. Royal oak lump. I could just taste it and didn't mind it at all. It could have just been a foul peice of lump. I'll try again sometime soon
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    No wood and last cook was pizza at 600 . I let it burn for about an hour had they egg up to 500 and dialed down to 375. Royal oak lump. I could just taste it and didn't mind it at all. It could have just been a foul peice of lump. I'll try again sometime soon
    Rockwood will eliminate the smokiness issue with the misses. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Or try some Marabu' and enjoy the minty fresh taste!  ;)  I think I'll give this a try! 
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Nothing wrong at all! Costco pot pie is the real deal. The chicken ratio can't be beat. Every other commercial pot pie skimps out on the chicken
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    They really are good. This one had so much chicken it really could of used more gravy in it!! We did eat the whole thing as leftovers. I found the peice of offending lump. It was a brown nugget the size of a golfball.