Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cracked fire ring

Options
Title says it all. The question is if it is still staying together, do I need to immediately replace it?
XL BGE Katy, TX (otherwise known as Far West Houston)

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You're good. You can use it as long as you can puzzle the pieces back together. I think fishlessman on the forum has his box in 10 or so pieces 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    My fire ring is in two pieces.  Has been that way for quite a while now.  Only time its noticeable is when removing the inner pieces - have two pieces to remove instead of one - not an issue.  

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ThrasherIII
    Options
    so four pieces is just more challenging for cleaning not cooking?
     or is it recommended to replace it at that point?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    so four pieces is just more challenging for cleaning not cooking?
     or is it recommended to replace it at that point?
    It's just harder to put back together the more pieces you have. It will cook the same
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    Mine was cracked in one place. I emailed a photo to BGE and they immediately got back to me saying there was no  problem using it with the crack, but through a dealer a new one was replaced within a week.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Mine is cracked and in the Egg. I've got the new one in the box in the garage. 

No issues with the cracked ring and box. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• ThrasherIII
    Options
    Mine is actually broke into 4 separate pieces. I was told it is usually a warranty item. I bought one and replaced the old one. I just had this really bad image of one of the broken pieces falling into the fire box and creating another cost
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    My fire bowl and ring are cracked all the way through.  Still using them.  Wasn't until my base got a crack in it that I told my dealer.  I live in a place were there are only 2 dealers near by and not a lot of "movement".  He is letting me know as the pieces come in to replace them.  I will just stick them in the garage until the cracked pieces become completely useless.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've never understood why people don't replace them. You paid for the warranty with the price of your Egg, it's one of the big selling points of getting an Egg vs others and yet people don't take advantage of it. When I noticed mine, I called and got a replacement. Due to being busy, it took me a few weeks to actually put it in, but I did and tossed the other one and I'll do the same damn thing when it happens again. I'm not going to bother trying to piece it together like a puzzle anytime I want to clean it out. Ain't nobody got time for that. Except fishlessman I guess. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SGrabs33
    Options
    Mine has cracked twice on my XL. I usually have them replaced when it is convenient to me. This second time the pieces really started to move around on me and charcoal has gotten down in the crack. Annoying. Has anyone come up with good ways to refurbish the old cracked internal pieces? 
    Raleigh, NC
  • tmas
    tmas Posts: 35
    Options
    What's the process for a warranty claim?
    XL BGE Katy, TX (otherwise known as Far West Houston)
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    I have had a cracked base, fire box and ring. I have gotten warranty replacement parts for all three. Replaced the base and the firebox that was in four pieces. The ring is just cracked so I have kept the replacement in the box as the cracked one works fine.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Griffin said:
    I've never understood why people don't replace them. You paid for the warranty with the price of your Egg, it's one of the big selling points of getting an Egg vs others and yet people don't take advantage of it. When I noticed mine, I called and got a replacement. Due to being busy, it took me a few weeks to actually put it in, but I did and tossed the other one and I'll do the same damn thing when it happens again. I'm not going to bother trying to piece it together like a puzzle anytime I want to clean it out. Ain't nobody got time for that. Except fishlessman I guess. ;)
    I agree with you @Griffin.  My bowl and ring are still in one piece, hence why I'm still using them.  Once they break apart, well it will be time for me to break apart from them as well.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i still have the parts from one i replaced 15 years ago =) i dont know how many pieces mines in now, this is what it looked like 5 or 6 years ago

DSC_0174jpg

DSC_0175jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    Fishlessman how is the heat circulation in your egg?
  • bg_easy
    bg_easy Posts: 41
    Options
    Mine split in two after a clean and burn. I emailed BGE about it and they said to take it back to the dealer and they would issue a replacement. That was a few months back. I happened to be in the store for something else last week and asked if that was the correct route to take and they confirmed. Even without the part in hand they gave me one on the spot... after they looked up my receipt and I supplied them with a pic from my phone. It worked fine with the crack, but as stated above - they give you a warranty for things like this. I'd rather it be whole if given the option.

Large BGE, Bull Lonestar and Bull Burner, growing fleet of accessories

• fishlessman
    Options
    Fishlessman how is the heat circulation in your egg?
    dont notice really any difference, my homemade firegrate doesnt clog as much with the extra holes on really long cooks. theres no gasket on it either and i can still hold temps below 175 on extended jerky cooks
    fukahwee maine

• ThrasherIII
    Options
    And I hear 225 is tough to hold omg
  • fishlessman
    Options
    And I hear 225 is tough to hold omg
    220 is easier to do than explain  ;)  pretty sure thats why we changed that temp years ago for low and slows. 145 to 175 is spent tiny pieces of used lump spread thinly on the grate so the fire has a hard time spreading, same settings as 220
    fukahwee maine

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Griffin said:
    I've never understood why people don't replace them. You paid for the warranty with the price of your Egg, it's one of the big selling points of getting an Egg vs others and yet people don't take advantage of it. ...
    Because some us are second owners and running without a warranty.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    Options
    Griffin said:
    this is how it goes for me. bring piece to dealer, 45 minutes, argue with dealer, 45 minutes, drive home, 45 minutes, contact bge, usually a day or two for a written response, bring response and part back to dealer 45 plus 45 minutes, get part ordered, winter is down time for the places up here, if its winter figure 6 to 8 weeks,  one more 90 minute round trip. thats 5 hours gone and up to 8 weeks wait
    fukahwee maine

• ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Options
    My firebox cracked too a couple months back. I speculate it's because I switched from using the firestarter cubes to the MAP gas torch.

Anyways, I emailed the dealer a photo, he contacted BGE, got an email back saying BGE approves within a couple days.
    Dealer said he JUST got a shipment from BGE, so the replacement will be shipped on the next shipment (about 4 weeks).
    Got a call when it came in, picked it up, installed and done.
    [o yeah, I didn't buy it from this dealer. he's just the closest one to where I live now]

Seems some of you guys need a different dealer.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    Fishlessman, I think that is great. Do you start out with any larger pieces on the bottom or just the small ones? 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    I've "had" to replace mine 3 times. Never had a problem.  Process is easy. Take a pic, email it to your local dealer with purchase date, etc and they'll get one shipped to their store with their next delivery date. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I take a pic and send it to Bruce. He approves same day by e-mail. I forward e-mail to my local dealer. He calls me when it comes in. Usually about a week later. I wait till I have to go to that side of town for something (30 minutes away) pick it up and drive home. Easy peasy.

And for those that are second owners, that I can understand. You didn't pay for the warranty, but you probably realized that when you bought it. I wasn't addressing you, just original owners who have the warranty.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    Options
    Griffin said:

I take a pic and send it to Bruce. He approves same day by e-mail. I forward e-mail to my local dealer. He calls me when it comes in. Usually about a week later. I wait till I have to go to that side of town for something (30 minutes away) pick it up and drive home. Easy peasy.

And for those that are second owners, that I can understand. You didn't pay for the warranty, but you probably realized that when you bought it. I wasn't addressing you, just original owners who have the warranty.

it never seems that simple up here, my last base failing on a small i had bruce involved and the distributor finding me a place that wouldnt charge me for delivery. it was a pool place, nothing goes on at pool places in our winters. ive only replaced four items, large base, small base, spring band,and fire box, all three times there were problems and delays, with the firebox and band it ended up with bruce eventually sending me one
    fukahwee maine

• 19Sunny45
    Options
    Mine broke and the BGE folks replaced it free. I believe the warranty lasts as long as the egg. I am noatmsure about the fire box. I know the plate setter has a limited warranty.