Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Don't Smash Down the Second Side of That Smashburger!

Options

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Link doesn't work for me.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Link doesn't work for me either, but seeing how Steak 'n Shake has done them for years then I prefer what I have seen that works for our preference.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Interesting advertising 

XLBGE 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    We started doing smash style burgers last year and that's all we do now.  We make them both on the egg and inside on the gas stove in a cast iron pan.

Here's the thing...everybody likes them and they are so quick and easy.  I buy a pound of chop meat and that makes 4 burgers.  Done.

We used to either make patties by hand or buy pre-made frozen burgers.  And if you ever tried to buy higher quality frozen burgers they get very pricey.

I do think they are greasy, though.  Haven't dialed my favorite mix yet (80/20, 85, 90, etc.) or if I should get higher quality organic.   But I make them, everybody eats them, no complaints.  Don't see a reason to fuss more than that.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Funny thing is in the past years prior to the SB concept I used to always season my rare burgers first with garlic salt, freshly ground pepper and DP Cow Lick. Now I preseason with nothing! After smashing and cooking we do hit them with salt. Try it to let the meat taste shine through without masking it! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

@MrCookingNurse I got a different ad, maybe our browser histories are just different.  ;)

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse delete those cookies!
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Two things:
    First, the "official" smash technique has never involved any pressure beyond the initial ten seconds, AFAIK.
    Second, if you want a bigger, juicier burger, just use ⅓ pound of meat instead of the standard ¼ pound. Personally, I sometimes do that, but usually do two ¼ pound burgers and make a double-decker.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    "smash burgers" are a clever food/marketing term for regular thin, amorphous shaped, generally overcooked hamburgers.  Some people like them, others want real, thick, medium rare, juicy hamburgers.

Because forming a burger shape is so much harder than forming a ball of meat.
    Options
    "smash burgers" are a clever food/marketing term for regular thin, amorphous shaped, generally overcooked hamburgers.  Some people like them, others want real, thick, medium rare, juicy hamburgers.

Because forming a burger shape is so much harder than forming a ball of meat.
    If your smashed burger is over cooked, you're doing it wrong.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I tried the double smash burger method and have had amazing results. I use a Blackstone for this of course.  I use 2oz balls of 80/20 and smash them very thin.  After a good char,  flip for maybe a minute while adding cheese.  I just add my condiment of choice(mayo or mustard)....no toppings at all, and it's amazing! Best burgers I've ever made.