Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF or Choice Brisket for the Holidays

Options
Ladeback69
Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
OK I was going to get brisket point to have for Christmas Eve, but it was 7.99 for Prime.  So I instead picked up a 21.43 lb choice packer for $3.99/lb.  I am thinking it is to large, so now I am thinking of cooking one of the SRF briskets I have in the freezer.  It is for family and I should probably do the SRF.  Which way should I go?  I don't know if the one I bought has been frozen before, will it be OK to freeze for another time?
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Yes. It will be fine. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    My 17.7 was too big for LGBGE, not sure for 21# on an XL
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    My 17.7 was too big for LGBGE, not sure for 21# on an XL
    IT will fit, I am just wondering if I should be nice and cook the SRF brisket for the family or cook the Prime.  They mostly want burnt ends and I hate to do that the SRF brisket. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Prime all the way for the family/extended family. You will enjoy it being SRF where others are just going to eat it because it's in front of them. No one's going to be disappointed that their eating prime brisket.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @Ladeback69. I follow, sorry misunderstood.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    I may just cut a big piece of the flat off and save it to cook Travis Method at another time and just cook the point for burnt ends. That is after I trim it up.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    What time should I head over?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    Good call to save the SRF if the end-game for this cook is burnt ends.  Of course, I seem to recall that somehow all your brisket cooks meet the burnt ends demise.  
    You need to come up with a way to get yourself out of that routine when the SRF hits the BGE IMO.  But it's your brisket so enjoy as you wish.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bhedges1987
    edited December 2016
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Good call to save the SRF if the end-game for this cook is burnt ends.  Of course, I seem to recall that somehow all your brisket cooks meet the burnt ends demise.  
    You need to come up with a way to get yourself out of that routine when the SRF hits the BGE IMO.  But it's your brisket so enjoy as you wish.  
    Lol you are so against burnt ends. Why? More than one way to BBQ.  I know you love franklin, but just because franklin doesn't do it doesn't mean it's incorrect....

edit** I think you have some misconception that they are supposed to be cooked with sauce or something.  Lunch from Joes KC

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    @bhedges1987 have you looked at SAMS club for Prime packers. I paid $2.89lb last week for a prime grade packer.  In Kansas City there is a Restaurant Depot. I would hate for someone to pay $8lb unnecessary. 
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    CoMoBGE said:
    @bhedges1987 have you looked at SAMS club for Prime packers. I paid $2.89lb last week for a prime grade packer.  In Kansas City there is a Restaurant Depot. I would hate for someone to pay $8lb unnecessary. 
    Yeah, I typically get all mine from Costco. Prime packers range from 2.29 - 2.89. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I personally would be selfish and save it for myself and anyone who truly appreciates brisket.  If everyone is wanting burnt ends then I would go with the choice and save the SRF.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Ladeback69
    Options
    @bhedges1987 have you looked at SAMS club for Prime packers. I paid $2.89lb last week for a prime grade packer.  In Kansas City there is a Restaurant Depot. I would hate for someone to pay $8lb unneacessary. 
    I only had yesterday afternoon to get what I was looking for and was headed to RD where I have a membership, but I didn't have my KCBS card with me.  It was in my truck and my wife has it on Wednesday for work.  I would have saved about 20 bucks, but I get the brisket from Bichelmeyer Meats in KCK so I now it is good quality.  It has a pretty thick flat all the way through.  I will let you know what I decide to do.  I think I will hold off on the SRF, because they will want the burnt ends sauced.  I am leaning to cooking the whole thing so I have leftovers for brisket chili.

Here is the 21.42 pound choice brisket I got yesterday and we probably just go ahead and cook.  There is a lot of hard fat to trim, it should be pretty good.  I will be putting it on tomorrow night so it will be ready for dinner Saturday night.  My guess there is aleast 4 pounds of fat to trim off.  I make a new posts when I start the cook.

Kansas City, Mo.