Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Thermo issue?

Options
Lately I have seen some members having issues with their smokeware thermos not reading correctly.
One guy reported his thermo was off by as much as 80°. I just received one of their Thermo's due to their Black Friday sale and did not get a chance to use it. After reading how this guys Thermo was off by 80° I decided to put mine to the boiling water test. Quite shocked I saw that mine read 160° in a rolling boil of water.

So I took a little video of the Thermo in the boiling water and sent it to smokewares customer service.. Their response was top notch, acknowledged there is a issue and want to make it right. 
By the way, their email address is carly@smokeware.com

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Talked with Carlyn in the past. She is awesome...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I got the adjustable black one due to the sale. It read a hair over 200 I'm boiling water. I'm at 6k feet so that was spot on. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    BilZol said:
    I got the adjustable black one due to the sale. It read a hair over 200 I'm boiling water. I'm at 6k feet so that was spot on. 
    I thought the older styles were only adjustable, not the new ones?
  • eightyfive
    Options
    Thanks.  Will reach out. Good service 
    BGE L, Minimax, iGrill 2, Kick Ash Basket, CGS AR,  various and sundry overpriced accessories...
  • Carlyn2828
    Options
    Hey Everyone!  Just to follow up, we have purchased a machine to test all of our temp. gauges.  It looks like it was a small batch that were a little off.  But, we are testing them before we send them out now.  Let me know if you have questions.  Thank you!
    Jacksonville, Florida - Large BGE & Large Yellow Lab...Just the three of us!
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Companies are going to have problems with their products from time to time. It's how they respond that makes the difference. Kudos to Smokeware for stepping up, acknowledging the problem, making customers whole and then taking steps to prevent the problem.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Hey @Carlyn2828  I saw that you are in Jacksonville. I never realized that Smokeware was located in Jax Beach. Do you have a retail store at the beach? If so then I may have to drive out sometime. I'm in Fruit Cove (NW St. Johns) and it would be great to see things hands on before I purchase. I love my chimney cap.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Hey Everyone!  Just to follow up, we have purchased a machine to test all of our temp. gauges.  It looks like it was a small batch that were a little off.  But, we are testing them before we send them out now.  Let me know if you have questions.  Thank you!
    Carlyn,

My replacement gauge came in today and the defective one is in the mailbox to be sent back to you guys per your request.

Thank you very very much for your attention to this matter in getting it resolved quickly
  • BilZol
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Mines adjustable and it stated it was when I ordered it. Dunno if it's last years model or not. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    BilZol said:
    BilZol said:
    Mines adjustable and it stated it was when I ordered it. Dunno if it's last years model or not. 

Can you post a pic of the backside of your thermo?
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Excellent. I bought two a month or so before the Black Friday sale but love their look.   I'll have to check them though.  

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • BilZol
    Options
    BilZol said:
    BilZol said:

I'll do it tomorrow after I get home. It's got the nut on the back. I can't remember if it had a note with it or a sticker on it telling you to be sure to put the wrench on the flats and turn it. It's this one though. Still on website, still on sale. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I suspected mine was way off. I had the model you can't calibrate.  Boiling water test showed it slightly over 100 degrees. I requested the model you can calibrate as a replacement.  I had it for 10 months.  They gladly sent me the replacement I requested. 
    Good company. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • BilZol
    Options
    BilZol said:
    BilZol said:

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    ^^ mine has the nut like your, but there are no disclaimers or stickers on the back of mine..
  • Carlyn2828
    Options
    Just to let everyone know... If you look at the face of your gauge you can tell if it is able to be calibrated or not.  The older model can be calibrated and the numbers are on the inside:
    The new model that can not be calibrated has the numbers on the outside:
    Hope this helps!
    Jacksonville, Florida - Large BGE & Large Yellow Lab...Just the three of us!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    Just to let everyone know... If you look at the face of your gauge you can tell if it is able to be calibrated or not.  The older model can be calibrated and the numbers are on the inside:
    The new model that can not be calibrated has the numbers on the outside:
    Hope this helps!
    Caryln - great info, thanks!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin