Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rookie mistake, Sous Vide saved the cook

Options
Austin  Egghead
Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
edited December 2016 in EggHead Forum
Placed a vacuum sealed frozen ribeye into the sous vide at 135.  Added extra hour for defrosting.  Last 35 minutes set up the mini for searing.  Went out to check and temp reading less than 100 instead of the 600 plus.  Didn't take long to realize I put the fire box opening toward the back.  Removed a few barely lit coals and turned the firebox around.  Placed coals back into the mini relit the coals and within 20 minutes temp reading over 600.  Time for the steak to meet the mini.
Seared for 30 seconds both sides and the meat was OMG tender and really tasty.  The Cap just melted in my mouth.  
May never do reverse sear again.
Here are some pictures

Not so pretty

on the mini

plated

side view

Thanks for looking
Joan

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• txhawkeye
    Options
    My favorite method for steak hard to beat
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    The great thing about the Mini is that it's pretty fast to sear. The great thing about the sous vide is that it doesn't care if it has to wait a few minutes longer. 

Side note: I can't believe you made that fire box alignment mistake. You must have been thinking of your pending retirement again LOL... You are going to love, no LOVE, being retired. 

Spring "Still Retired After All These Years" Chicken 
    Spring Texas USA
  • Mad_Wally
    Options
    I love doing ribeye this way. For real high searing heat you can use a chimney style firestarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUAUJHBY-EI

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Have tried reverse sear and sous vide extensively. IMO, reverse sear is a better tasting ribeye.  but with multiple (e.g. 4+) steaks or different cuts (tenderloin), I feel the sous vide shines. Also, as you mentioned, sous vide gives you time cushion which can be very beneficial. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Agreed with Raymont.  I tend to always do sous vide with steaks just because it is so fool-proof, precise and forgiving, and I also like the edge-to-edge doneness. I do so knowing I am making a small concession on flavour.
    Toronto ON
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Options
    OK.  I've got sous vide over the holidays.  Tried steak and pork chop.   It's amazingly easy to do so.  Sear it toward the end of cook.  Easy Peasy.

Now I got to wonder... have everyone tried "reverse sear/sous vide" combo? 

I'm thinking smoke the steak first ½ hour in the 200 degree.  Then put in the bag and sous vide.  When ready, sear it? 
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @dfrelich absolutely!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle