Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good Christmas Presents?

Options
You guys seem to collectively tout the virtue of Dizzy Pig seasonings.  I was gonna get me some, and decided a couple bottles would make a good Christmas present for the nephew and brother-in-law.  So just placed an order for them and me.

What do y'all suggest for gifts, especially for the backyard chef?  People have various price ranges and I suspect a BGE is beyond the capability or inclination of most of us to give away.  What would you be willing to give, and recommend for a Christmas gift?
Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    2 years ago, I bought a MBGE as a house warming gift for my younger daughter and SIL. I don't think he's gotten around to buying a thermopen, so after I check, that's on the list for him. My younger son just got a new chef job, and is in line to become a sous chef within a year. I found a $49 vintage Sabatier/Hoffritz 10" on eBay, same as I've had for nearly 40 years, so that is a possibility for him.

For "stocking" gifts, I bought tubs of cultured goats butter for each of my kids. Will be ordering some American Spoon preserves to go with it.

We've all exchanged enough spices and blends that I have enough for years now. Altho' last year I bought my older daughter a small box of saffron. Her husband, who really can barely cook used the whole thing on a bowl of rice. His comment was "That was really good, what was that called again?" May have to buy more for her this year.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    If your targets are backyard chefs then you may want to consider a gift cert to SRF.  No affiliation here.  Or as above, something that would enhance their experience w/o breaking the bank.  
    @gdenby -  that had to end up being a pretty pricy bowl of rice  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Unless they're currently attending AA meetings a bottle of quality bourbon would go nicely with the gift suggested by @lousubcap :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    lousubcap said:

@gdenby -  that had to end up being a pretty pricy bowl of rice  ;)
    Yeah, my daughter rarely gets upset w. her hubby, but that did it.
  • herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    Wow.  "SRF" and "quality bourbon".  You guys must really like your friends and relatives.
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    thermopop is a nice gift, too.  i also like the accessories from thermoworks like the meat doneness magnet, and their spatulas.  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    Cookbooks always make a nice gift. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    herbu said:
    Wow.  "SRF" and "quality bourbon".  You guys must really like your friends and relatives.
    Yeah, a lot more than I like mine. 

I agree that a good quality instant read thermometer would be a good call. I grabbed a bunch of Thermopops when they were on sale for $20. I will be giving those to a few relatives. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm a fan of the various grate lifters and PS lifters such as Ott grid lifters or kick ash grid lifter. Also like the various aftermarket gadgets such as smokeware cap, raiser, flameboss, and grill grates. Of course as above thermopens.  There are a bunch of things out there , but that's my all star team. Gift certificates work for charcoal and the rubs if you aren't confident to pick the correct ones. Happy holidays!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I gave my sister and brother in law a Thermapen for a wedding present. Probably not a typical wedding gift. I never mentioned anything about the quality or cost but was more interested to see if they ever found a use for it. It was maybe 6 months later when my sister says, "That thermometer you gave us, we use it all the time when cooking!" Ha! Not only did they use it around the kitchen my brother in law went out and bought a Kamado Joe. The Thermapen was a gift that they didn't even know they wanted. Even a Thermopop would be nice for someone to have in a kitchen drawer even if they are the average cook.

My sister gave me 6+ rolls of the 18"x75yrds of Heavy Duty Reynolds tin foil a few years ago for Christmas. It's been one of the best and most practical gifts I've received. You can never have too much tinfoil around the house. 

I thought of this story the other day. When I was younger we used to go to my parents friends house and exchange gifts when I was a kid. It used to be one of my favorite times of the year as I knew I was going to get my Beckett baseball card magazine subscription renewed as a gift. (Basically a magazine that gives you a reference on how much your baseball cards are worth) I always looked forward to getting that magazine monthly in the mail as a kid. I remember spending hours as a kid looking up card values and checking trade values between friends. Let's just say that all came to an abrupt end during one Christmas gathering. My yearly Beckett subscription was traded in for a duffel bag! I smiled, was thankful, and did not want to be disrespectful but I was crushed inside. My monthly little joy was gone and I was headed home with a duffel bag. As time went on and the older I grew I started to realize how nice my duffel bag gift really was. I can't even tell you how many miles this bag has traveled compared to my outdated box of Beckett magazines sitting in my parents basement. Something as basic as a duffle bag has really been a nice gift compared to some other "in style" or "hot gifts" of the season. I'm not saying a duffel bag is your answer but sometimes basic everyday items are the most practical gifts of all!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    gmac said:
    herbu said:
    Yeah, a lot more than I like mine. 

I agree that a good quality instant read thermometer would be a good call. I grabbed a bunch of Thermopops when they were on sale for $20. I will be giving those to a few relatives. 
    I have done that and everyone loved getting the thermopops.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Years ago my ex-gf's sister gave me a pair of turkey forks:

They were a neat gift because it's something I never would have purchased myself.  I only use them 3, 4 times a year, but when I do, they're the best (sometimes only) tool for the job.  Like @WeberWho 's duffel, not a gift I thought too much of when I got it, but sure like them now.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...