Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time turkey need advice

Options
i am making 2 12# turkeys for today... I have a large BGE and a traeger grill... my plan is to do The Whole turkey on the BGE b/c it's my favorite grill but I also need to save the dripping for the gravy.  I spatchcocked the 2nd turkey for the trageger.  

What temp should I cook both and how long do you think they will take?  I've read so many threads my head is spinning! 

Comments

• jstewart12a
    Options
    Doing my first one as well. Everything I've read says about 15 mins/lb at 325. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I spatched a 12lb bird on a large and it cooked at 250 for 1:30. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My way. 
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 3.75lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400/425 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook Turkey to temp (not time) breast @ 155/160 and thigh @ 165.
    Cook Chicken to temp breast 160.
    Rest both 10 mins.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TheManOnTheBus
    Options

What if Turkey breast gets to 155/160 but thigh is still at same temperature?  Pull it all early, or risk overcooking breast?

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,403
    Options
    Regarding the temp difference-put the legs to the back (hotter back there) and you can ice the breasts  for around 20-30 mins prior to tossing on the BGE.  You should roll into the finish with the temps where you want.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.