Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breasts up or down?

Options

I am cooking 2 10 pound turkey breasts on my large BGE for Thanksgiving.  Most pictures I see of turkey breast on the BGE have one breast in a rack but I can't fit both breasts in the rack.  Is it okay to smoke the turkey with the breasts down or should I just let them lean over on the grid? 

I have seen instructions that say allow 15 minutes a pound all the way to 30 minutes a pound.  If we are going to eat at 1:00, what time would you put the breasts on the BGE? 

Also, these frozen breasts have some kind of saline injection already in them.  Will brining them make them too salty?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I egged 2 breasts for our party at work last week. Took about 2 hrs at 375, raised indirect, with a drip pan underneath. Pulled when IT hit 155. These were about 5 lbs each, i think.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options

• Grillin_G_Ma
    Options

Is that a large BGE?  If those are two 5 pound breasts, I hope that two 10 pound breasts will fit. 

Did they taste as wonderful as they look?  Did you brine them?

Thanks,

Nancy

• caliking
    Options
    Yes thats a large BGE. If you already bought the turkey breasts, take them out to the egg and see if they fit on the grid side by side, or if you have to stack them.

They turned out quite great :) Went heavy on the pecan smoke this time and was pleased with the results. I did brine these overnight. I don't remember if they were injected or "pre-brined", I forgot to check. 

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    If your turkey breasts have been pre injected with a brine solution, there is no benefit to an additional brine. It is  my experience, that  if you do brine them after they have already been injected they will pick up too much salt and their taste will be predominately salty rather than turkey flavor enhanced with a little salt. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    If they won't fit horizontal then you can stand them up, leaning against each other at the very top unless they are able to stand alone.  If you go that route be mindful that the upper parts will cook quicker than the base.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    two fit on my large on Saturday night.  Mine sat side by side, but I did flip them from one side to the other mid-cook to balance the color development.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

I wasn't sure where this thread was going

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI