Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey For Work Lunch

Options
Ladeback69
Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
This week at work I was asked if I would smoke a turkey for our work thanksgiving and said yes.  I am one of 8 cooking a turkey.  We have a big group.  It was a 15 pound Buttermilk and was probably already bribed some, but I did about a 9 hour one it with what I like to use, Oakridge Santa Maria Grill Season.  Good stuff.  I got home about 4:20 and lit the grill.  I then pulled the bird out of the brine and rinsed it.  I put a little Olive oil on the outside and inside on the breast with some more rub.  I put it on around 5:05 with a grid temp of 330.  It seemed to be cooking a little faster so I took it done to 300.  After about 3 hours the thickest part of the breast was 163 so I pulled it and tented it for about 40 minutes before slicing.  I was worried about the dark meat, but it seemed ok.  I do prefer cooking a fresh turkey over a Buttermilk one though.  Here are some photos.  

Thanks for looking . 
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,400
    Options
    @Ladeback69 -  Great deal for your workers and an eggcellent result.  Curious as to how you landed on the use of the Santa Maria seasoning?  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I know I don't work with you. But we're in the same city. Where was my invite?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Ladeback69
    Options
    I know I don't work with you. But we're in the same city. Where was my invite?
    Sorry, big company Black & Veatch Telecom Division in OP.  I might be able to get you in after the line dis down.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Ladeback69 -  Great deal for your workers and an eggcellent result.  Curious as to how you landed on the use of the Santa Maria seasoning?  
    My egg dealer sells it and said it wold be good and I tried it last year and everyone loved it.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Here is my first plate.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Here is my first plate.
    Fantastic!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,400
    Options
    Great looking plate-and very perceptive "my first plate"  ;)  I'll give this year's bird a run with the Santa Maria, thanks.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    edited November 2016
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great looking plate-and very perceptive "my first plate"  ;)  I'll give this year's bird a run with the Santa Maria, thanks.
    I hope you like it.  Everyone at work is liking it, but they could be just being nice, but most of them are pretty honest about what they think of food.  

I have gone back for desert, but not a second plate yet.  I may have to venture over so I feel like this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXH_12QWWg8

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great bird and time to show your egg skills to coworkers!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Nice!  What Egg Dealer do you go to to get that stuff? (Fellow KC-er, here...)

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    Nice!  What Egg Dealer do you go to to get that stuff? (Fellow KC-er, here...)

My egg dealer is KC BBQ source aka Hot Spots Pool and Spa.  They are a premier dealer now and number one in KC.  They are up in Liberty on Church RD.  Larry, Carroll and Al will help you out.  Great people, they make you feel like family.  I have called to ask for advice on cooks before.  Here is there website.  https://libertyhottub.com/  I would also like to buy a hot tub from them.  They also have a location in Overland Park off of 151 St near HWY 169.

Kansas City, Mo.