Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally did my home made 2 tier raised grates

Options
EggHeadinFlorida
EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
edited November 2016 in EggHead Forum
on my XL egg, I used a 16" grate bought at Lowes for $9, stainless hardware and I can raise it 5" above factory grate. 

On my Minimax,  I ordered a 9" stainless grate from amazon. Shipped it was $20.  This is actually used to put your lump on in the large I believe.  But it also works perfectly to make a two tier grate in the minimax.

At the current height I have a proximately  1.75"  from the top of the Daisy will to where the little chute begins.  So essentially I could put a piece of 3" meat up there  and it will not touch the top of the dome. 
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    forgot to ask, with only having less than 2" from bottoming out on the top dome, is this to high to cook food at or am I good as long as nothing is touching the egg?
  • kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Options
    Let me know how you like it and any tweaks you might suggest. I recently made a homemade 2 tier system for my large. I desperately need something for the mini max, just so I can do a raised direct cook. I am considering just putting some bolts in the grid I have to raise it a couple inches.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Do what I did. I like it. I can remove it when necessary with out unbolting anything. It's simple and cheap 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    CGS runs a rig for a LBGE (PSWoo-2 with extender) that is a fixed height around 3.5" above the gasket line.  No issues as long as you ensure you don't impale your dome thermo on the target protein.  FWIW-
    No sure about any XL rigs.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited November 2016
    Options
    As long as you're not touching the dome, you're good. From the measurement you posted, it's the same height as my raised in the MM, works well. My grid is 26cm/10.25inches, using 80mm bolts. Spatchcock chicken fits nicely, with height to spare:

The bolts you have may be wide enough (looks like M6 bolts) to create a pivot on the MM as well, although this needs firmly fixing to the bottom grate:

You can do this with the temp gauge to ensure it doesn't touch the meat, just ensure that the groove halfway up the temp gauge is still inside the dome, as this is the temp measurement point (Big Green Egg in the UK confirmed this):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Thanks Stormbringer for the idea of pulling the thermo out of the egg to eliminate touching the meat. I cook a lot of multiple butt cooks and sometimes stack the meat up high. I've been here for 2 years and this is the first time I've seen anyone do this.

Thanks for your insight.

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• DaveRichardson
    Options

Cork or some spare nuts from other builds.  Hell, I've even stacked washers up to lift the thermo out a bit.

I'm waiting to see someone use a bone from a hunting trip as a spacer or a handle.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!