Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Fresh Yellowfin Tuna

We placed two Yellowfin stakes in a brine bath for 45 minutes. Then sous-vide them at 105 degrees for 1 hour before searing them on a CI skillet at 450 degrees for 30 seconds per side. Served with a Greek salad and quinoa/brown rice side dish.
Summerville, SC

Comments

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 8,808
    My kinda meal! Looks great.
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 6,960
    The tuna looks good but I'm curious as to the SV treatment.  No knocking your cook by any means just curious.  

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • F3DAWGF3DAWG Posts: 66
    The tuna looks good but I'm curious as to the SV treatment.  No knocking your cook by any means just curious.  
    I find the SV allows the sesame oil to permeate steaks.
    Summerville, SC
    Totally understood. The meal looks delicious. 

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 8,808
    Totally understood. The meal looks delicious. 
    Time and temp look reasonable.  Wouldn't go longer.  Sear sounds a little long but you have a very pretty plate!
    Being a SV dumbass - does it add a textural difference vs hot hot sear in a CI pan or straight on the grid?

• Looking good! Love a good tuna steak!
    LBGE
    SC AL
    Being a SV dumbass - does it add a textural difference vs hot hot sear in a CI pan or straight on the grid?
    I don't see any difference in the texture at 105, but you probably would if you did it at higher temperatures or for a longer period of time.  I believe it gives it an enhanced flavor profile. 
    Summerville, SC
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 5,312
    Rockin it again this weekend I see! Very nice.
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Med & MiniMax & now a 17" Blackstone

Nothing left to do but smile, smile smile.

F3DAWG said:
    I don't see any difference in the texture at 105, but you probably would if you did it at higher temperatures or for a longer period of time.  I believe it gives it an enhanced flavor profile. 
    Thank you for the explanation 

• Uhh looks nice!!

I'm planning to cook some tuna steaks/medallions any recommendations on the seasoning/rub?
    Uhh looks nice!!

I'm planning to cook some tuna steaks/medallions any recommendations on the seasoning/rub?
    I like to use a little sesame oil and Montreal Steak seasoning.
    Summerville, SC
    Not knocking the OPs Tuna by any means but this is absolutely the Yellow Fin I've ever made

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145144/seared-ahi-tuna-with-soy-ginger-dipping-sauce-credit-scott-leysath-and-hunt-fish-cook/p1

• Thanks! @F3DAWG

Will take a look to @Mattman3969 recommendations also.

Every tip and advice is welcome.

Again looks really nice F3DAWG!