Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Mates

Options
Hello everyone - I'm moving houses and the boss says she doesn't want a lot of tables cluttering up the landscape. (Misplaced priorities.) In the interest of domestic tranquility, I've just about given myself over to installing the "wings".  I think they're called Egg Mates.  I've never been a fan - prior to the move, I had a stainless table and a deck box for storing charcoal and tools.  Now I will be ultra-minimalist and making a lot of walks to the garage.   In any case, wondering if any of you had experience with these and your thoughts.  

Many thanks,

John
Kemah, TX

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have them and like them! Have two large eggs one in a metal cart that works great for storing things, the other is in a nest with Egg Mates and I like the portability of the nest, even the metal art has wheels and I can move around the deck as I see fit. I would not have the cart if I had to pay full price for it. It was used and 1/4 of the cost new. Have a small Egg with nest and Egg mates in the Motor Home and I like it very much.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I like them. They take up little room and are functional. I took my mates off a week ago to refinish the wood on them and have missed the hell out of them. You don't realize how valuable they are until they're gone. I was lucky and got a set from BilZol here on the forum. The other couple sets I have on my eggs were from Craigslist. Someone right now locally is selling his nest and mates for $50. So it might be worth checking on and saving a few bucks if you use Craigslist. 

Here's what I did 5-6 years ago with a set of mates that were rotted out. I added a couple cutting boards to give them more surface space and were under $10

The other set I had needed to be sanded down and resealed. I painted them in camo for something a little different.

Worth every penny if you can find them at the right price
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @jllbms. Looked at your photo, what kind of old car are you cruzin' in?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I like the nest and egg mate combo. A large takes about 2'x2' when tables folded down. I have a lot of garage storage right next to the cooking area though. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I really like the Mates. Very handy for handling food and tools, and they don't take up a lot of space when folded. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    @RedSkip The car is a 1973 VW Thing.  I drive it for one week/year at a huge vintage car show on the MS Gulf Coast, "Cruisin' The Coast."
    Kemah, TX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    I like my mates a lot.   Very handy and love that they fold down.  Makes my egg more versatile when moving egg on my patio. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"