Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Worth the drive?

Options
I'm intrigued but do you see any real use for a grill like this? Someone posted it for free but it's an hour away. Your thoughts?

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    It's just going to take up space 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I buy everything and wouldn't buy that!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I think it looks cool, but my wife would kill me if I brought another grill home...
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I would buy it. Strip off the grill stuff and put a round table top on it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Pass.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Thanks guys for the suggestions. It looks heavy, different, and a new to me style of grilling. I can also see it sitting around, taking up space, and seeing little use. The main reason why I asked here first before jumping on it. Thanks everyone for confirming it!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I would do it. Put the handled grids on either side of the food to flip, drop stuff in the top before or after the sear and pileup the briquettes on one side for hot and less hot like a Weber. You could even fashion a dome for it. Looks pretty heavy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I'd get it. That would be a nice cooler weather firepit/grill.  I still prefer grilling over an open wood fire rather than in a kamado or kettle using charcoal.

Gather everyone to sit around it, drink some beers while watching the fire. Then when it dies down/coals throw on the brats/steaks/shrimp/skewers/whatever.

Not something I'd use every day but I'm sure I'd use it a few times a month. Be worth the drive to me.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    You be the only one on your block with one. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • tikigriller
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    You be the only one on your block with one. 
    Now THAT is the best reason yet!!!

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You could use it to burn pinestraw to piss off your neighbors  =)
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That would be a great reverse sear or T-Rex cooker right there.  I'd go get it.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
  • Tblack
    Tblack Posts: 55
    Options
    Free...it's a setup..don't go
    LBGE 
    Pike Road,Al

• WeberWho
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You could use it to burn pinestraw to piss off your neighbors  =)
    I've fed the fire with some dead grass a few times this year when I've slacked in between mowings and picked up with the sweeper. Try not to do it when the neighbors are around or when I know they are in the house. The neighbor kids are having a bonfire in the backyard as I type having a good ole time. Some would be annoyed how loud they are but doesn't bother me in the least. As long as I don't have toilet paper in my trees or a kid passed out in my backyard, party away! We've been really fortunate about having good neighbors who respect each other.

Minnesota
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Yeah, Tblack said:

"It puts the lotion in the basket..."

Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It's got potential V.
    The cool factor.
    Looks to be built like a Tiger II
    A little bit of prep, and a few rattle cans of high temp BBQ paint will freshen it up.  

It will take a lot of charcoal, or wood to burn down to feed this beast.

Would be cool as a fire pit alone, if that upper rack comes off.

Would also be interesting to hear of it's history.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    blasting said:

Yeah, Tblack said:

:o 

perhaps just as scary:

"Let me tell you about the amazing Cutco knives..."
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited October 2016
    Options

"HeavyG said:
    blasting said:

Yeah, Tblack said:

:o 

perhaps just as scary:

"Let me tell you about the amazing Cutco knives..."

even worse... "we have to talk"
    Phoenix 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    I would get it but I'm also a pack rat  :)  Update?
    canuckland
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Asks a BBQ forum if he needs a free grill.  :o
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    When in doubt, go directly to your enablers.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• tikigriller
    Options
    Could this grill boil water though?

Livermore, California
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I would get it but I'm also a pack rat  :)  Update?
    It looks like someone must have picked it up. I'm fighting garage space myself. 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Everything but politics. ;)

Minnesota