Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tried a new meatloaf recipe

Options
Tried a new recipe for meatloaf today and loved it.  Paired with cauliflower mash and broccoli. The egg was out of use the previous two weeks until last night. So my fridge is stocked up and egg ready to go. 

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Looks good. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options
    Looks very good; haven't tried the meatloaf yet, but will soon.
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That looks fantastic, we are also into the cauli mash.. One of my favorites is meatloaf done on the egg.. Also great pics..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Awesome!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Just saw this... Man, what a great looking meal! I've never prepared cauliflower that I liked, but I've only tried it a couple of times. I haven't given up yet. Yours is certainly inspirational! Thx for posting!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Any chance you could share the recipe, or is this a top secret recipe that is yours and yours alone that took you years and years to perfect? (I do have respect for those that wish to keep family recipes private)
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Any chance you could share the recipe, or is this a top secret recipe that is yours and yours alone that took you years and years to perfect? (I do have respect for those that wish to keep family recipes private)
    Hah, it's just a basic meatloaf recipe. I can post it later when I get home. Off the top of my head though I think:

2lbs ground chuck
    1lb mild ground pork, or ground pork sausage (I prefer the sausage)
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup milk
    2 handfuls of breadcrumbs 
    1 chopped onion
    1 diced green pepper
    sat and pepper
    4 tbs of Heinz 57

Whisk eggs and milk - combine with everything else

cook indirect on egg at 325-350 until 160 internal

When temp gets to 145 I mix the following and start  basting with:
    1/2 cup ketchup 
    4 tbs apple cider vinegar 
    2 tbs brown sugar

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Nice cook! And even better avatar!  GO CHEFS ! er, CHIEFS and I guess CHEFS works here, too... so ok then...

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    p.s. What about posting the mashed cauli recipe, too?

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Thread rehash; About how long to get to 160?  Mrs. 500 always asks me how long a cook will take. I say 160 degrees or 125 degrees and I get this look. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    stevez said:
    Looks very good; haven't tried the meatloaf yet, but will soon.
    Smoked meatloaf is great.  It's fun to serve at a dinner party becuase people aren't expecting the flavor and they always want seconds. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    You nailed that one!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
    Options
    500 said:
    Thread rehash; About how long to get to 160?  Mrs. 500 always asks me how long a cook will take. I say 160 degrees or 125 degrees and I get this look. 
    The answer is 1 1/2 hours as I just cooked it. 
    Member since 2009
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    500 said:
    500 said:
    The answer is 1 1/2 hours as I just cooked it. 
    Sorry, didn't see this until now. Bringing back an old thread!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

Options
    No prob.
    Member since 2009
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I love meatloaf cooked on the Egg.  Best thing about meatloaf is leftover sammiches!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio