Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boos Boards - Round vs Rectangular?

Options
Looking for opinions, as I'm mighty tempted to pick up an end-grain board.

I've understood the main benefit of the round to be more even wear (as you will not be continually placing it in the same positions, as you would with a rectangular one). I can see how this would be true.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I move around to different spots on my rectangular, it's a butcher block island.  Mouse sand as needed with 600 wet/dry.  So wear really isn't a factor, at least in our lifetimes. 

The majority of things I cut are longer, so I went with the rectangular. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I prefer rectangular but that's  really is up to you...  Will you leave it on the countertop or store in a drawer?

I have a larger one that I store vertically above the fridge with other pans so round would not work for me.  I have another smaller one with legs that I leave on the countertop.

Options
    Never cared for the round ones. Just my preference. Mine is rectangular (2"x14"x19") and lives on my countertop right next to the sink. Has tor years. Reversible, end grain. I rotate it occasionally and flip it upside down from time to time. I also keep it raised above the counter (on unattached rubber feet) so it doesn't sit in any water that might splash under it. No cracks, splits, warping or water damage and no noticeable wear with daily use. I've had it about 10-12 years now, I think.

Mine is a darker wood (don't know what kind) and I've been thinking of retiring it and replacing it with a maple board just because I prefer the look of maple. It still looks as good as new though so it's hard to justify replacing it. Maybe one of these days.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I just bought my first boos board a week ago.  I opted for the rectangular one.  The round board just didn't appeal to me.  Just curious what you guys think - I have a friend of the family that says you are supposed to cut meats on one side and flip to the other side for all non-meat cuts.  I get the reasoning there, but the board is really heavy and constant flipping seems like a chore.  What do you think?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Hub said:
    I just bought my first boos board a week ago.  I opted for the rectangular one.  The round board just didn't appeal to me.  Just curious what you guys think - I have a friend of the family that says you are supposed to cut meats on one side and flip to the other side for all non-meat cuts.  I get the reasoning there, but the board is really heavy and constant flipping seems like a chore.  What do you think?
    I read that others did this as well. Seems like a good idea to me. C'mon mate, it's not that much work to flip a board!  :)
  • Focker
    Options
    Hub said:
    I read that others did this as well. Seems like a good idea to me. C'mon mate, it's not that much work to flip a board!  :)
    Get ya a solid 3 inch maple or walnut block in the 2'x2' range or bigger, and report back.

I don't flip.  Peeps get cute with color coded boards.  I cut everything on mine, veg, seafood, poultry, pork, red meat, and have lived to tell about it.  I ride in to.....the DANGER ZONE!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I just use my wooden board for veggies and such. Mine's easy to flip as it's only 2" thick, but I don't do it often and I wouldn't do it for meat vs veggies. I'd forget which side was which anyway. I have 4-5 of the plastic ones I use for poultry, beef, etc. Color coded? Yeah, all the plastic ones are white. The wooden one is brown. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I use a wooden rectangular board for everything. I do wash the board after cutting meat and before cutting veggies. I use one side for regular cutting with a chef's knife. I flip the board if I'm chopping or cutting with a serrated knife as it scars the board more. Been doing this for over 35 years without issue - but I may die tomorrow. Who knows?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Focker
    Options
    I just use my wooden board for veggies and such. Mine's easy to flip as it's only 2" thick, but I don't do it often and I wouldn't do it for meat vs veggies. I'd forget which side was which anyway. I have 4-5 of the plastic ones I use for poultry, beef, etc. Color coded? Yeah, all the plastic ones are white. The wooden one is brown. =)
    You'd be better off, safer, chucking all of your plastic, and using the same wood board with a little common sense.(which I know you have)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The end grain it doesn't really matter they heal themselves well. I got a custom end grain board made probably 5 years ago and you can't tell it's ever been used there's not even a knife mark visible on it. My edge grain board is beaten up pretty bad though.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I like a rectangular board so I can butt it up against another surface without any gaps (e.g., against my Foodsaver, or on the counter next to wall for storage, etc.).
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I have a side grain Boos. It's at probably 20 years old. It occasionally comes out, gets oiled up, and then goes back in storage. I don't care for it that much. I have one that slides up from under the counter edge and use that often. Meat gets done on plastic cutting boards. Easier to wash or toss in the washer.
    If I really wanted one, I'd order from a different company and save a bit a dough and have something nicer.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
    Options
    There's a beautiful Boos, maybe six inches thick and on a stainless cart maybe 3'x3' or larger, down at the corner grocery store. They use it for BEER TASTINGS. I'm gonna irritate the owner about that until he sells it to me.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!