Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk Pork Shoulder (Picnic)

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum
Well, that was awesome! =) Most definitely not from The Skylight Inn or Wilber's!! Trimmed all of the skin and visible fat and slathered it with Grace brand jerk seasoning paste. No other seasonings. Thought I had a jar of Walkerswood, but it was Grace. They look the same and I can't tell the difference anyway. Grace is easier to find here and cheaper to boot. Wrapped and refrigerated overnight.

Got off to a late start this morning so it marinated for a good 12 hours. I put it into a 275° egg with white oak chunks. Later, I bumped it to 300°. Decided I wanted to pull rather than chop so I let it go to about 205° IT. Wasn't sure how to serve this so I made rice and peas. Actually black beans and rice (no coconut milk). More New Orleans than Kingston. 

Not what I'm used to, but good stuff!

Some pics...

Just for grins, I calibrated my dome thermo before the cook. Then clipped the pit probe to the dome thermo. Not bad.

Here's the pork at 175° IT. The pic I posted earlier.

And the rest...

I'll do it again!! Thanks for lookin'. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Glad it was a true success-looks great.
    Did you find that you had sufficient jerk flavoring in the bark to carry thru the entire pan of pork?  Definitely on my list.  Great change-up.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Looks great to me
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I would like to try a few of those bark pieces.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Carolina Q
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Glad it was a true success-looks great.
    Did you find that you had sufficient jerk flavoring in the bark to carry thru the entire pan of pork?  Definitely on my list.  Great change-up.
    LOL, I knew that question was coming. I hit "Post Comment" before I was ready. The bark was definitely the best part. The rest was good, but it could have used more kick. Fortunately, I had...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I would like to try a few of those bark pieces.
    Yes. Yes you would. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Looks great! Thinking of different cookout themes. I'm adding Jamaican to the mix. Glad it was a success. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Way to go, Q!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks awesome- glad you tried it as its a favorite of mine.

Greensboro, NC
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Fantastic!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Mighty fine!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    This is one of those times that I am LITERALLY looking at my computer monitor and drooling ....
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Looks fantastic!
  • Luvnlife
    Luvnlife Posts: 219
    Options
    Wow, that looks awesome and with the jerk marinade too! I would love to try it. Nicely done!
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Speechless. I am making chocolate chip cookies on the egg right now and I find myself hoping they will taste like pork. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Oh, man!  I want to try that now!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Ya, Mon! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Looks great! 

I have a few thoughts: 

1 - Thinking injection would be awesome.  

2 - I wonder what jerk burnt ends are like? 

3 - Thought about making a jerk finish sauce, like thin the sauce out some with vinegar, like a eastern NC style to help bring the jerk out?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Looks great! 

I have a few thoughts: 

3 - Thought about making a jerk finish sauce, like thin the sauce out some with vinegar, like a eastern NC style to help bring the jerk out?  
    1 - I've never injected anything. One of these days, maybe I'll actually buy an injector. =)

2 - I don't know anything about burnt ends. Or how to make them. I've seen pics, I know people like 'em, but I just haven't paid much attention. As I understand it, they are usually made from brisket - and since I don't do brisket, I've never paid attention. I assume a lower finish temp would be step 1? Too late now. It's all pulled.

3 - I like it! That bottle is about 3/4 gone anyway. In consistency, it's about like a typical grocery store BBQ sauce, SBR or similar. Will add some vinegar and try it out. Thanks!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Looks great! 

I have a few thoughts: 

1 - I've never injected anything. One of these days, maybe I'll actually buy an injector. =)

2 - I don't know anything about burnt ends. Or how to make them. I've seen pics, I know people like 'em, but I just haven't paid much attention. As I understand it, they are usually made from brisket - and since I don't do brisket, I've never paid attention. I assume a lower finish temp would be step 1? Too late now. It's all pulled.

3 - I like it! That bottle is about 3/4 gone anyway. In consistency, it's about like a typical grocery store BBQ sauce, SBR or similar. Will add some vinegar and try it out. Thanks!
    1 - Was just a thought.  

2 - You can do burnt ends from pork butt or belly.  I think jerk burnt ends with belly would be delish.  Or just a belly roasted with jerk.  

3 - This was the better idea I had.  Layering flavors is the name of the game.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    Options

3 - This was the better idea I had.  Layering flavors is the name of the game.  
    Vinegar on a butt... how bad can it be?! :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut