Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on cooking pork butts early!

Options
want to do pulled pork for Saturday,(brother in laws 40th), problem is I have an autism walk at 11:00 and I don't like to leave the bbq while cooking, how long can I do the foil towel cooler method, would it b ok to finish 9:00 am then ftc till 4:30 5:00? Any advice?

Comments

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Doubt they'll stay hot that long, I could be wrong. 
    What we've done for pot lucks and such is smoke a day ahead and reheat either in the oven at 170 for an hour or so or use a crock pot. Works fine for us. 
    We've even vac sealed and froze then reheated in same manner with greathe success. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Yes you'll be fine. Ive kept one for 10hrs and still hot enough to easily pull. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Preheat the cooler with hot water. Double foil the butts and wrap well with a big towel. Put the cooler somewhere warm.

It should still be nice and warm when you return to pull it. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • daffy1909
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • abpgwolf
    Options
    You can also pull the pork ahead of time and seal in foodsaver bags. Reheat before serving.

I did this for my son's graduation party. 50 lbs of pork smoked the prior two weekends, pulled and sealed. Then reheated in hot water prior to the party.

Have fun and hope your BIL has a happy birthday.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    You should be fine as long as you completely enclose the void in the cooler. If you want another option, pull it when it is done. Then reheat later by throwing it in the oven with a little bit of apple juice, apple cider vinegar or even Coke. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• chrisc133
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    You can also pull the pork ahead of time and seal in foodsaver bags. Reheat before serving.

I did this for my son's graduation party. 50 lbs of pork smoked the prior two weekends, pulled and sealed. Then reheated in hot water prior to the party.

wow...how much did you put in a bag?  50 lbs is a lot to reheat.  I was trying to figure out the logistics of reheating 15 lbs that way...
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • jrb06
    jrb06 Posts: 52
    Options
    Just did 16 pounds a week ago FTC for 5 1/2 hours and when I pulled it the pork was still very hot as in I had rubber gloves on and it was hot enough to not hold onto very long when pulling.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I pull it and vac seal it in smaller portions with a little apple juice/apple cider vinegar mix added to it and then freeze it. You could just refrigerate it. Then I put the sealed bags in hot water on the stove to reheat it. Heats evenly and no moisture loss.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• bhedges1987
    Options
    People should just schedule their events around the BGE owner imo! Your brother should reschedule his party for exactly when your pork gets done ;) 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• abpgwolf
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    abpgwolf said:

wow...how much did you put in a bag?  50 lbs is a lot to reheat.  I was trying to figure out the logistics of reheating 15 lbs that way...
    Exactly what @Toxarch said. 

We sealed up about 5-8 lbs per bag. Then reheated it in hot water (we had a propane burner outside). Then added the apple juice/vinegar mix as needed after reheating.  Like @Toxarch said it heats very evenly and there is very little moisture loss. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    If you can get a cheapo steam pan setup from Wally that burns sterno cans to boil water, that'll work in a pinch.  Sterno can's don't last very long.

I'd go with cook ahead, vac and fridge.  I've even heated it in the microwave on 30% power for 3-5 min at a time, massaging and flipping the vac bacs during the heating process.

Warning - if you vac a large amount, the pressure from the vac process will compress the meat back to a large looking meat blob.  Makes it kinda fun smushing it back out into pulled pork!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @daffy1909  Have you checked your kitchen oven?  Set to 160ºF, a foil wrapped butt will be fine for a loooong time.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• daffy1909
    Options
    Here's another question, 12 lb butt, how long at 225-250??
  • GATraveller
    Options
    I've found 265 to be my sweet spot and figure 80mins per pound. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA